torch flashback?

/ torch flashback? #1  

tglass

Platinum Member
Tractor
3320 w/cab
torch flashig back quite a bit lately. Have got the tip hot, but replaced it. ?Still getting that loss of heat with the constant popping and excessive heat on the torch tip. Have I got one of the seats on the torch too hot and if so can I reseat it without sending it in for repairs.? Surely someone sells something to reseat like a valve grinder. Any ideas other than another Victor?

/ torch flashback? #2  
torch flashig back quite a bit lately. Have got the tip hot, but replaced it. ?Still getting that loss of heat with the constant popping and excessive heat on the torch tip. Have I got one of the seats on the torch too hot and if so can I reseat it without sending it in for repairs.? Surely someone sells something to reseat like a valve grinder. Any ideas other than another Victor?

If you have plenty of fuel gas, You may need new O-Rings or crank the tip nut a little tighter. Victor torches like a very tight tip. Or, if you are using a tip from another manufacturer you could have seat issues. Try to tighten the tip and o-rings 1st.

/ torch flashback?
If you have plenty of fuel gas, You may need new O-Rings or crank the tip nut a little tighter. Victor torches like a very tight tip. Or, if you are using a tip from another manufacturer you could have seat issues. Try to tighten the tip and o-rings 1st.

I'm thinking the seat has warped from close cutting of bearings etc.. Do you know of anyone who makes a cheap enough reseater tool for the home/hobby person? Have sent the Victor torch in for rebuilding twice and still have the same result. Popping back thru the tip without getting close or heating the tip at all. Thank G-d for flashback arrestors.

/ torch flashback? #4  
I'm thinking the seat has warped from close cutting of bearings etc.. Do you know of anyone who makes a cheap enough reseater tool for the home/hobby person? Have sent the Victor torch in for rebuilding twice and still have the same result. Popping back thru the tip without getting close or heating the tip at all. Thank G-d for flashback arrestors.

I'm going to guess that the repair shop didn't ream the seat. Some distributors have a setup to fix the dings in the seats. Usually the seats get bad from a tip that was dropped and then installed. If it's not O-rings or needed extra tightening, It's the seat. Good luck!!

/ torch flashback? #5  
I've cleaned up minor dings in a torch seat using a tip and a bit of valve grinding compound. Just make sure you clean it well when done.
If the torch got really hot you might have buggered up the mixing chamber, hopefully not.....Mike

/ torch flashback? #6  
I have seated a tip to the torch by just slightly tightening the torch nut and twisting the tip several revs. This usually is enough to marry the copper to the brass and prevent leaks. Popping back is usually due to bad o rings at the mixing barrel/cutting head connection. I doesnt take much to destroy these if you overtighten them or get a flash back that heats up that area. I would try replacing them and get a new tip if the tip seating method doesnt work.
The o ring connection should never be more than finger tight. Many folks think that because it has a nut on it, it needs to be tightened with a wrench. DONT ever do that to a torch as it immediately destroys the o rings.

/ torch flashback?
I have seated a tip to the torch by just slightly tightening the torch nut and twisting the tip several revs. This usually is enough to marry the copper to the brass and prevent leaks. Popping back is usually due to bad o rings at the mixing barrel/cutting head connection. I doesnt take much to destroy these if you overtighten them or get a flash back that heats up that area. I would try replacing them and get a new tip if the tip seating method doesnt work.
The o ring connection should never be more than finger tight. Many folks think that because it has a nut on it, it needs to be tightened with a wrench. DONT ever do that to a torch as it immediately destroys the o rings.

Well, live and learn. Never new that and probably overtightened after the fact. Newbees using the torch at work and when I heard the popping told them to shut the gas off and let the oxy blow to cool it down before relighting. Can I reseat the torch with valve grinding compound? I've sent it back to the victor dealer a couple of times for rebuild, and it comes back with the same problem.

/ torch flashback? #8  
Well, live and learn. Never new that and probably overtightened after the fact. Newbees using the torch at work and when I heard the popping told them to shut the gas off and let the oxy blow to cool it down before relighting. Can I reseat the torch with valve grinding compound? I've sent it back to the victor dealer a couple of times for rebuild, and it comes back with the same problem.

If I paid to have the problem fix'd and it comes back with the same problem, Someone wouldn't get paid. I would say, Take it back and explain. They will take care of you.

/ torch flashback? #9  
You cant reseat the connection between torch head and mixing barrel, it has 2 o-ring seals that are easily replaced. I just replaced them on my old Victor torch at about $2.50 each from my welding supply house. I could likely have found the same size ring at NAPA for .$50 for both.
The reseat is for the cutting tip to torch head only. I dont know if I would use valve grinding compound as they are oil based. IF you do, make sure you use some acetone to remove the oil and blow it out good with compressed air afterward. As stated, I find that just snugging the nut hand tight and spinning the tip several rounds works to smooth out any burrs that may be left on the copper tip. If the torch head is scored, I would sent it in to have the seat recut but I have never seen one that was scored inside. I suppose if some newbie tried to put in a tip with sand on the end it would damage the torch seat.

/ torch flashback?
If I paid to have the problem fix'd and it comes back with the same problem, Someone wouldn't get paid. I would say, Take it back and explain. They will take care of you.

Took it back twice, and have the same problem when changing from cutting torch to rosebud or heating tip. Surely there is some hope for this torch. It's not that old. Would that be the o-rings or seat? Victor dealer replaced the o-rings and that didn't seem to help. I asked the dealer if I could buy a seat tool and he gave me a price which was way over my price range. I still think the flashback to where the cutting or heating tip is connected is the problem, and can be repaired.

Last edited: