What kind of welder?

/ What kind of welder? #1  

Canada_CT230

Platinum Member
Tractor
1878 Ford 65N
I need a welder for odd jobs around the acreage. Nothing too heavy.

I don't have a lot of $$$ to throw at this...so what do you think would be better?

A small 120v MIG or a 220v Stick Welder?

/ What kind of welder? #2  
A mig would be easier to learn and would excell at welding thin material. A 120v model would not be effective on anything over 1/4 thick, if that.

A stick would be a lot better for thicker material, and is much harder to learn than a mig.

/ What kind of welder?
I've used both. Agreed that MIG is easier...but I have made nice welds w/ ARC. ARC is cheaper and maybe more versatile. Probably not doing really thin stuff.

/ What kind of welder? #4  
I need a welder for odd jobs around the acreage. Nothing too heavy.

I don't have a lot of $$$ to throw at this...so what do you think would be better?

A small 120v MIG or a 220v Stick Welder?

Get a used 230A with 220V input AC/DC plug-in welder. I think they are more versatile for a wide variety of light fabrication and repair jobs, easier to learn if you are not already profecient and can be had for around $75 and up. Sniff them for burned insulation first. Try them before buying unless you know the history. There are a lot of them at garage sales, estate sales, private sales like craigs list, auctions, and word of mouth. I bought an old Wards one for $75, works fine. If you are not profecient get someone you know to coach you in the beginning. There are several current threads on welders, rods and joint prep, us the search function or browse the welding forum. Ask us all the questions you want; we will answer. A light duty OA torch set is real handy but a used one will cost more than getting set up for arc. Just a set of small cylinders will set you back $200+ and not too many bargins. Saws and grinders can do the prep work just takes longer. I have it all, but that little AC/DC buzz box does the most.

Ron

/ What kind of welder? #5  
A mig would be easier to learn and would excell at welding thin material. A 120v model would not be effective on anything over 1/4 thick, if that.

A stick would be a lot better for thicker material, and is much harder to learn than a mig.

All true, but a stick is more flexible in the jobs it can do, the supplies are way cheaper, the rig itself is usually cheaper, is more trouble free. (moving parts in the mig) The MIG usually makes pretty welds much easier in the hands of a beginner. The stick takes a good long while to make pretty welds. A 230 volt stick will make good strong welds even in the hands of a beginer, with some practice. Yes stick can be frustrating at first, especially if you are trying to teach your self. DC is the way to go if you get a stick, but good strong welds can be made with and AC welder, and were for many many years and they are dirt cheap used. Like most things in life there are tradeoff's

James K0UA

/ What kind of welder? #6  
It also depends on WHAt yor planning to weld. I LOVE my 120v mig cause i can haul it all over my property as needs arise...all i need is either an ext cord or my small generator. However its limited as to the thicknes.... thats why i also have a Miller thunderbolt ac/dc welder....220 volt... for the thicker stuff.

/ What kind of welder? #7  
Some of the best weldors around are saying that the PowerArcs by our sponser Everlast are the best amps per buck.

/ What kind of welder? #8  
Nothing too heavy.
Too vague. What thickness will be most common?

I echo what Tractor Seabee said. Small MIGs are fine for sheet metal, but not for thicker or rusted (clean it off as much as practical) metal. "Pretty" you can get with a grinder. "Strong" is more useful.

There is massive info available on welding forums like weldingweb, millerwelds, hobart forums, etc.

120 volt MIGs are feeble and there is too much temptation to exceed their limits. Terrific for auto body shops though.

Used stick machines are cheap and last for decades. There is good reason farms have so many of them.

thats why i also have a Miller thunderbolt ac/dc welder....220 volt... for the thicker stuff.
Good machine, as is its relative the Hobart Stickmate. Infinite adjustment makes for precise settings, and DC makes for greater electrode choice.

I have more welding machines than I need, but still keep my AC-125/DC-225 Lincoln handy. I've used it for more than twenty years and it's paid for itself many times.

Stick is NOT terribly hard to learn. All welding takes practice, so don't be intimidated.
With stick you can work outdoors in poor conditions, extend your leads wherever you like, and reach places MIG guns cannot go.

/ What kind of welder? #9  
A 120 volt mig can easily weld 1/8" plate on a single pass. I know this cause i do it all the time. It also is fantastic for ranch gates, horse panels, etc. A stronget welder would be hard to haul out to the back 20 for work.

/ What kind of welder? #10  
A 120 volt mig can easily weld 1/8" plate on a single pass. I know this cause i do it all the time. It also is fantastic for ranch gates, horse panels, etc. A stronget welder would be hard to haul out to the back 20 for work.

Not if it is on a trailer and gas powered!!!!:thumbsup:

My portable is a Miller Trailblazer 250g