Tried to help a friend out, but he helped me instead.

/ Tried to help a friend out, but he helped me instead. #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about getting a bucket of Morse drill bits from him. He had mentioned that he needed some money for Christmas, so I offered him what I figured was a good price for the drill bits. Then he asked me if I wanted a welder. As luck would have it I had just spent about 15 minutes on the phone to three different welding suppliers looking for 1/16" rods. No one had the rods I needed, and I have some thin steel to weld.

I told him the story about the 1/16" rods, and he offered me the bits, the welder, and a small welding table for a price that almost made me feel bad for him. I scrounged up the money and gave it to him later in the day. He's going to have his kid drop off the stuff tonight after work. It's hard to tell who did who the favor in this situation. I gave him the money he needed for Christmas, but he gave me his stuff for a lot less than it was worth.

All I know about the welder is that it's a 110v Miller Wire feed. I may be asking some questions after I see it and over the next few weeks as I learn to MIG weld again.

/ Tried to help a friend out, but he helped me instead. #2  
This is a tough one. If he is a real good friend I would have given as much as I could scrape together to be close to a fair price. However these days fewer people can scrape more together, just to be nice. ......:( it's a tough one. Hope the new welder works out for you.

/ Tried to help a friend out, but he helped me instead. #3  
Friend or no friend a deal is a deal and as long as both are happy ... then its a good deal.

/ Tried to help a friend out, but he helped me instead. #4  
A deal is a deal. I have a bud who has sold me a bunch of gear he's gotten over the years. I get dibs on stuff when he needs money.

He needs ready cash more than equipment, and if he needs a favor I roll up with the tools and do the work! For example he had an Econotig that had almost no use and zero TIG time. I got it for $500 but if he needs something welded I hook him up.

If I got tight for bucks I'd give him "buddy prices" if I offed any gear. Win/win.

Anyway, Miller have great support.

Forums:

Welding Discussions

Manual downloads:

Miller - Owners Manuals

Resources including videos for training:

Miller - Welding Resources & Education

/ Tried to help a friend out, but he helped me instead. #5  
if he offered the price, then that was what he needed.

I think it worked out for both of you.

/ Tried to help a friend out, but he helped me instead.
The stuff was just dropped off. The welder seems to be good enough. It's definately used, but he threw in a brand new regulator for the gas. He never used the gas, but I have an argon tank, and I think I have a few hoses kicking around, too. His boy told me that the wire feed mechanism was sticking the last time he used it. I figure that even if the welder turns out to be a boat anchor I got my money's worth by helping out a friend.

The welding table is nice! It's perfect for my shop because it's small. I don't have much room in my little garage that I use for a shop.

I'm putting my kids to bed, and then I'm off to play with my new toys and see what they will do.

/ Tried to help a friend out, but he helped me instead. #7  
post pics!

/ Tried to help a friend out, but he helped me instead. #8  
I've bought a half dozen or so firearms from friends that have been down on luck....I'd pay them more than what the local gun store would give them for their best price.....(which would usually be 1/2 price of what the gun store could sell them for)

Good deal for both of us and still remaining good friends too......I would never take advantage of a friend, and I don't dicker with friends, but if they need the money, they need the money..

Glad you could help out your buddy .....even if it is a boat anchor....:thumbsup:

/ Tried to help a friend out, but he helped me instead. #9  
I've bought a half dozen or so firearms from friends that have been down on luck....I'd pay them more than what the local gun store would give them for their best price.....(which would usually be 1/2 price of what the gun store could sell them for)

Good deal for both of us and still remaining good friends too......I would never take advantage of a friend, and I don't dicker with friends, but if they need the money, they need the money..

Glad you could help out your buddy .....even if it is a boat anchor....:thumbsup:

same here.. have bought guns from buddies needing cash.

pawn shops will rake you over the coals.

might be a 400-500$ gun.. pawn shop *might* give 75-100$.. and sell for 375-400$

/ Tried to help a friend out, but he helped me instead. #10  
One time a buddy came in to my work and asked "Do you have a good revolver..??".........He proceeded to show me his Ruger 357mag

He said, "I really don't want to part with it but I'm broke and I'll leave it for collateral for $200"......He had a small appliance business and was waiting for some money to come in.....(which eventually failed anyways)

I ended up telling him "Here, take this $300 and go pay some bills and keep the gun, It's a loan".......

Problem is I never saw him again, not from anything other than his guilty conscience cuz my wife and I both agreed afterward we wouldn't take his money anyways if he paid it back...... the friendship was worth more than the money....

I just didn't know I'd lose a friend and the money.......if I would've taken the gun as collateral he wouldn't have had to feel guilty.....lesson learned....

FWIW, I did buy 3 nice long guns from him previously......Good deal for both of us