Drill Doctor

/ Drill Doctor #71  
Do these DDs work on step bits at all? Mainly the initial point is what gets dull fastest.

drillbitsstep2b.jpg

/ Drill Doctor #72  
No they won't work for step drills. I would think the only way to sharpen them would be to regrind the flat side (not the side with the numbers).

/ Drill Doctor #73  
For ten bucks a set toss them and buy new ones..:laughing:

/ Drill Doctor #74  
Good step drills are far more than $10 a set... The tip is the thing that really needs re-sharpening on them. Once the tip breaks through, they go real easy. Nothing better for drilling thin metal. They don't catch and you actually get round holes...

/ Drill Doctor #75  
I thought I would throw this in the pot.

Tool geometry[1]
Workpiece material Point angle Helix angle Lip relief angle
Aluminum 90 to 135 -- 32 to 48-- 12 to 26
Brass ----- 90 to 118 -- 0 to 20-- 12 to 26
Cast iron 90 to 118 -- 24 to 32-- 7 to 20
Mild steel 118 to 135 -- 24 to 32-- 7 to 24
Stainless 118 to 135 -- 24 to 32-- 7 to 24
Plastics 60 to 90 -- 0 to 20-- 12 to 26

/ Drill Doctor #76  
I love mine. Got it from the SIL 5 years ago for Christmas. I have save $100's with it. I spent a day sharpening my bits and my neighbors. Its been a life saver and time saver many times when drilling multiple holes in steel like on trailers that I work on.

Chris

/ Drill Doctor #77  
Good step drills are far more than $10 a set... The tip is the thing that really needs re-sharpening on them. Once the tip breaks through, they go real easy. Nothing better for drilling thin metal. They don't catch and you actually get round holes...

The step drill wouldn't fit into the doctor - the tip would be a great candidate for sharpening by hand on a bench grinder.

/ Drill Doctor #78  
I broke a 1/2" bit when a piece of steel flipped around and came down on the end of the bit in the drill . Clean straight across break , took maybe 5 to 6 minutes and although it is about 1" shorter now , Just like brand new .
Opinions are like a certain part of human anatomy , We all have one .

Fred H.
The center web of the spiral gets thicker as you move up the drill bit. ... therefore its not possible that it is like new.
larry

/ Drill Doctor #79  
The center web of the spiral gets thicker as you move up the drill bit. ... therefore its not possible that it is like new.
larry

Sure can make it so. Just grind the web. Used to do it all the time. I worked with twist drills up to 3 1/2 inches dia.