Drill Doctor

/ Drill Doctor #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
Not sure where to post this, but opinions on the Drill Doctor for sharpening drill bits. Thinking about one, have plenty of old bits to practice with

/ Drill Doctor #2  
I have never used the Drill Doctor brand. I have a Sears that broke after many years. I am now set up with a standard drill grinding guide. I set this up on a seperate grinder. I have also done many drills by hand. A number of tool maker sharpen large drills by hand ( 1"-2 1/2" ).
It is easy to sharpen the large drills,it is the smaller sizes that are near impossible by hand ( you can not see them ).
I just bought a large replacement kit of drills with many in the smaller range ( 10 drills / size ).
You a can break them just looking at them.

Craig Clayton

/ Drill Doctor #3  
I bought a Drill Doctor and even after I opened up the box and looked at it I was somewhat disappointed...plastic everywhere.

I was wrong. The damned thing works well. No more challenging than sharpening a pencil.

/ Drill Doctor #4  
I noticed Canadian Tire has the Drill Doctor on sale for $49 this week and was wondering if it is any good as well.

/ Drill Doctor #5  
All those gimmicks are to slow. Learn to do it on a bench grinder. ;)

Attachments

• Drill sharp 1.jpg
    Drill sharp 1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 658
  • Drill relief.jpg
    Drill relief.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 442
  • Drill angle.jpg
    Drill angle.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 688
   / Drill Doctor #6  
I have an older one, and it works great. When I step up to a broken bolt now, I know my drills are going to cut into it. Hand grinding drill bits on a grinder was for me a hit or miss thing. Gone are the days of pressing a drill against something and getting nothing but heat. I'm a simple guy, I just want to see that little spiral of metal coming out of the hole as I drill. The drill doctor is the way to go. Perfect angle and edge. The only thing I don't like is that I cant sharpen smaller than 1/8 bits.

/ Drill Doctor #7  
I noticed Canadian Tire has the Drill Doctor on sale for $49 this week and was wondering if it is any good as well.

there's a few different versions. the lower model - the 350 only does one tip angle - 118 degrees and doesn't do split points. the 500 will do angles from 118 to 135 degrees and split points. there's also a couple other models too, but those two are the most common. looking at the site, the 350 doesn't list cobalt drill capability. maybe they use a different sharpening wheel? i've been considering getting one, but if and when i do i'll likely go for the 500. sadly, it's around $100 here.

/ Drill Doctor #8  
To the Ontario boys I bought past tense ( on sale ) the Mastercraft Titanium 204 piece drill replacement kit $37.00. Lots of smaller range drills.
I was drilling out a muffer mounting stud in the exhaust system. This stud had the fluted shoulder so it was a good and tough grade. I used the Mastercraft Titanium brand. I had to resharpen every 1/16" of depth. not that the edge would not hold but I was under the truck with a hand drill. I stepped up with 3 drill sizes.
So I drilled a total of 1" of stud up the middle.
1 x 16 =16 sharpens / drill
16x 3 = 48 total sharpens more or less all by hand.

Practice makes perfect

Craig Clayton

/ Drill Doctor #10  
i have a copy the seems to work great. did a big coffee can full the day I opened the box. havn't used up enough bits to try it again..

soundguy