alternative fuel gas

/ alternative fuel gas #1  

deereman75

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 2120, Warner & Swasey 6000# offroad forklift, Case W9B loader, various non-running decorations
Well right now I have a blueshield cutting torch it, and a smith aircraft torch for welding. I still want to keep acct around for welding, but I need something cheeper for cutting and heating. Basically what I am wondering is what fuel gas would be best to switch to, and what (other then a grade t hose) do I need to convert. Also, will my existing regulator work with an adaptor, or do I need a new one.

/ alternative fuel gas #2  
Propane is the least expensive. Your Acet. Regulator will screw right on. Change the Cutting tip and use the setting chart for the gas and tip size you have. For cutting, May as well use Alternate fuels. You can light both at the same time, Turn off which ever you want to, It just doesn't like to flash back. What I like is you can start a cut and lift your torch up 2" and still be able to cut. Propylene is my favorite. Same price as Acetylene but lasts 4 times longer. Easy to do the math on Alt. Fule savings. ( Blue Shield ? New one on me ) )

Last edited:
   / alternative fuel gas
Propane is the least expensive. Your Acet. Regulator will screw right on. Change the Cutting tip and use the setting chart for the gas and tip size you have. For cutting, May as well use Alternate fuels. You can light both at the same time, Turn off which ever you want to, It just doesn't like to flash back. What I like is you can start a cut and lift your torch up 2" and still be able to cut. Propylene is my favorite. Same price as Acetylene but lasts 4 times longer. Easy to do the math on Alt. Fule savings. ( Blue Shield ? New one on me ) )

Ok so it sounds like propane it is, I have a spare tank for the BBQ I can use. As for the blueshield torch, it is air liquides house brand. I got the light industrial model, normally cost about $500, but I think we payed about $300. Guys there are really honest, and have the best service (imo) of any local LWS, so we took their recomendation. I think it has a much nicer feel then the victor. I think they are a lot more common here in canada, air liquide is the main lws here, almost all the electrodes used up here are blueshield brand.

/ alternative fuel gas
I have been looking around and have only been able to find acet. rose buds for my little smith. I thought I heard somewhere that they can also be used with propane. Is that right, or will I have to keep looking for the propane one.

/ alternative fuel gas #5  
Don't know on the tips, I thought they worked either way. When you switch to propane, you are supposed to use "T" grade hoses though, something about the propane causes the standard "R" grade hoses to break down an potentially fail

/ alternative fuel gas #6  
The Home Machinist! • View topic - Oxy-propane, BBQ tanks as soldering/brazing fuel?

Scroll down for my "rosebud flameholder mod". You could split a piece of copper pipe or MIG nozzle and clamp it with a worm-drive hose clamp if you like.

If your rosebud won't stay lit, it's not suitable for LP without modification. If you observe how far out from an acetylene rosebud the LP flame burns, you'll see why the flameholder trick works.

As usual, no guarantees express or implied, but it works very well for me and I tried vigorously to swing the rosebud fast enough to blow out the flame.

Many people use R-hoses for years, but code says "T" and you cant' go wrong with that.

/ alternative fuel gas #7  
I have been looking around and have only been able to find acet. rose buds for my little smith. I thought I heard somewhere that they can also be used with propane. Is that right, or will I have to keep looking for the propane one.

Naa. Don't light the Acet. Rose Bud with LP. Not meant to be. Or worse yet. Vise Versa.

/ alternative fuel gas #8  
One way to get a similar effect for much less money is to get the largest LP cutting tip which will fit your torch, and not use the cutting oxygen. Fat preheat flames work fine for many heating tasks, and the large tip sizes are often cheap on Ebay.

Medium & Standard Duty

Beats buying a LP rosebud, takes very little space.

Or worse yet. Vise Versa.
Good point about not running an LP rosebud with Acetylene. While some acetylene rosebuds will tolerate LP in still air, LP rosebuds aren't designed for acetylene.

Run flash arrestors with ALL rosebuds as they are high-flow items.

/ alternative fuel gas
One way to get a similar effect for much less money is to get the largest LP cutting tip which will fit your torch, and not use the cutting oxygen. Fat preheat flames work fine for many heating tasks, and the large tip sizes are often cheap on Ebay.

Medium & Standard Duty

Beats buying a LP rosebud, takes very little space.

Good point about not running an LP rosebud with Acetylene. While some acetylene rosebuds will tolerate LP in still air, LP rosebuds aren't designed for acetylene.

Run flash arrestors with ALL rosebuds as they are high-flow items.

One problem with the big cutting tip idea is that the only cutting attachment I have is a blueshield one, and I think they have their own special tips, so I almost never see them on ebay. Also, the blueshield tips (if I recall right) cost a fair bit more then say victor tips. They are a 3 tube design, so they might be smith style, I will have to ask next time I am there. Last time I got a cutting tip, I recall it was around $20, and lp ones might be more. So it might cost me less in the long run to get a differnt torch for cutting. I could get a cutting attachment for my smith aw-1, but I think it might be too small to be good for cutting. I have thought about getting a straight torch before, it is just a matter of finding a used one cheep. Any ideas on what I should do?

/ alternative fuel gas #10  
Any ideas on what I should do?
Post clear pics of your torch tip REMOVED FROM THE TORCH, side view, of your torch handle, and of the cutting attachment.

I like straight torches for cutting, but you should solve your tip problem first by knowing what your torch takes so if you get a straight torch later you can have matching tips.

Post your exact torch model number if you will have a delay posting pics and I'll attempt to look it up.

We'll figure something out. The Blueshield website is horrid but tip pics will tell the tale. The very few pics I see look like Airco tips. Tip designs go back many decades (I'll spare the welding history and patent war lecture) but here's an Airco-style (made by Uniweld) tip:

Attachments

• 10448_2208-144-acetylene-cutting-tip-airco-style_large.jpg
    10448_2208-144-acetylene-cutting-tip-airco-style_large.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 121
Last edited: