Would you accept this steel as new

/ Would you accept this steel as new #1  

Hooked_on_HP

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E
I needed a piece of 2"x3"x12"solid bar for a project I am working on . I orderd it from Discount steel.com. This is the first time I have ordered from them. When I opened the package today I couldn't beleive that they had sent a rusty pitted piece of steel. The only shinny spot is where they cut it. I could probably clean it up but I shouldn't have to. That is the reason I bought new. I sent them an email and hopefully I will hear back from them tomorrow. Here are some pics.
Bill

Attachments

• 100_0418.jpg
    100_0418.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 726
  • 100_0417.jpg
    100_0417.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 563
  • 100_0416.jpg
    100_0416.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
   / Would you accept this steel as new #2  
I needed a piece of 2"x3"x12"solid bar for a project I am working on . I orderd it from Discount steel.com. This is the first time I have ordered from them. When I opened the package today I couldn't beleive that they had sent a rusty piotted piece of steel. The only shinny spot is where they cut it. I could probably clean it up but I shouldn't have to. That is the reason I bought new. I sent them an email and hopefully I will hear back from them tomorrow. Here are some pics.
Bill

yeiks.. that looks nasty.

I have never had any steel shipped to me, as i always pick it up at the supply yards in town. Theres no way i would ever take something that looks like that unless they dropped the $$$ alot.

/ Would you accept this steel as new #3  
doesn't look all that bad to me but judging by the pictures, you have bought a lot more than I have.
I would not expect that steel that size/ dimension would be stored so that it would not oxidize.
looks like 5-10 minutes with a cup brush and it's good to go.

/ Would you accept this steel as new #4  
I needed a piece of 2"x3"x12"solid bar for a project I am working on . I orderd it from Discount steel.com. This is the first time I have ordered from them. When I opened the package today I couldn't beleive that they had sent a rusty piotted piece of steel. The only shinny spot is where they cut it. I could probably clean it up but I shouldn't have to. That is the reason I bought new. I sent them an email and hopefully I will hear back from them tomorrow. Here are some pics.
Bill

Looks like surface rust, but still if I bought new, I would expect mill scale and some oil, no rust. That looks like something from a scrap yard.

/ Would you accept this steel as new #5  
That's pretty bad for a small piece! I've bought large beams that were stored outside that looked better than that. A small piece like yours should have been stored inside.

/ Would you accept this steel as new #6  
A little surface rust could be expected but not deep pitting. I would ask them for a discount in price for that material. A good steel supplier is not going to have his material laying around outdoors exposed to salt and other elements. I guarantee that had a construction company ordered that, the receiving warehouse guys would have rejected it and it would not have got off the truck without the supervisors approval.

/ Would you accept this steel as new #7  
it's hard to tell fro the picture, but if it is pitted then i don't think i would have wanted it as "new", but i guess it depends on what it is being used for. my guess is that their storage is outdoors, and that is probably not a commonly sold item. probably the same 20' piece has been there being whittled down for some time. if you had ordered something really common, like 1/2" x 6" then it probably wouldn't have been there as long.

/ Would you accept this steel as new
When I order online I usually use Metaldepot.com. I have never received a piece of steel with any rust from them. The reason I ordered from discount steel was that they were cheaper. Now I know why. The reason I order online is that my local steel suplier is 40 miles away and closes at 4pm and I get off at 3:30.
Bill

/ Would you accept this steel as new #9  
When I worked for the machine shop, most of our suppliers had indoor storage, but one of the local ones had both. Their prices were a about the same, but for most of our work, the new finish was kind of required, so they kind of got phased out (by us). With some of my projects rust didn't matter, so I took over the account to get the better pricing of the shop for my home use. Very seldom did I have the stuff delivered, but mostly because I liked to go out there to see what else they had come in. The back side of the new sales was a scrapyard, and some pretty neat stuff would come in. Because of my commercial account, I was allowed to purchase "used" steel from them, that I couldn't as a residential buyer.
If it doesn't work for your uses, send it back, if they aren't willing to make it right. Check the fine print on their sales contract to see how it handles "returns".
David from jax

/ Would you accept this steel as new #10  
not to hijack this post but what has changed that a residential customer cant buy used steel. Recently ran into this for a project i needed some metal for