weldingweb is hacked

/ weldingweb is hacked #1  

jake98

Veteran Member
Tractor
53 Cub, 70's JD 410, Kioti 25hst
Stay off there until they get that straightened out. Had to restore twice in two days now..

/ weldingweb is hacked #2  
You know if we could get these people to use their talent for good instead of writing viruses!
Couple years ago I got hit hard on a John Deere website. That's when my computer guy set me up with Linux.

/ weldingweb is hacked
My wife loves Linux, she's a programmer. Says it's more immune, plus the hackers don't bother trying to hack it because there's so few they'd be targeting.
You picked up that adware on your Linux machine?

/ weldingweb is hacked #4  
I guess there is a whole bunch of people out there who hate Microsoft!

Yes I did, works great, I was about to stop going to WW those ads at the top of the page were killing me! Even here sometimes the ads to the right of the page were slowing me down.
The computer guy set me up where I have dual boot. On start up I have a few seconds to choose if I want to go with Linux or windows. If I don't choose, it goes to Linux automatically. Linux is basically the same thing as windows, few things in Linux I don't like, but a whole lot I do like. But all of my software is windows based, so it is nice to have the dual boot! :thumbsup:

/ weldingweb is hacked #5  
To Shield Arc
I am sitting on the side lines looking at Linux. I would like to switch but I do not have the skills or time.
Several years ago in Toronto Ontario a web ?? put on a Linux conference. We decided at the last moment to attend. When we arrived at the hotel lobby it was cash or preregister ??. I am gentle on the dollar. So I talked myself in because my form must have gotten eaten by the dog when I sent it in months ago.
Well 15 minutes into the presentation they announced the door prizes.
Will Craig Clayton come up and get his Rory Penguin T shirt.

I could have crawled under the table, first I weasled my way in and next I was standing at the front for a quick photo with my T shirt. I think it is here somewhere??

Craig Clayton

/ weldingweb is hacked #6  
Hi Craig Clayton,

To easily try Linux just download and make a Bootable CD, it is called Live CD.
There are a few distro's out there, Knoppix is very popular.
A newer PC with at least 512 mb of memory is recommended. The OS loads into memory.
One note, if your hard drive is formatted with the NTFS file system you will have trouble writing to it. A fat32 partion will solve that or a USB stick.
It is FREE, just google Live CD or Knoppix.

/ weldingweb is hacked #7  
hackers don't bother trying to hack it because there's so few they'd be targeting.

You just said what I ALWAYS tell everybody, esp. apple lovers. They always brag to me about how they have "best system" and "immune to viruses". I just tell them - thats because you are in the minority group of computer users. Microsoft is the biggest target , so of COURSE its gonna be hacked into the most. its just common sense. Go after the biggest audience for biggest effect. :rolleyes:

/ weldingweb is hacked #8  
Stay off there until they get that straightened out. Had to restore twice in two days now..

Are you sure it is from welding web. I have windows 7 and the recent update totally screwed up my computer. I also had to restore twice. I shut off automatic updates.
Bill

/ weldingweb is hacked
I'm pretty sure it came from there, the hackers make their page look just like a windows action page. I'm learning (slowly) to not push any buttons when something smells fishy. There's a post on that site that gave an add-on to Mozzilla that got rid of it.

/ weldingweb is hacked #10  
A variety of adverts are getting infected on various sites.

Here's a Linux-friendly area if you are curious. Some folks at SFT are moving faster than others in dedicated Linux forums!

Shop Floor Talk

You have many options other than Windows for surfing, and can run Windows either dual-boot or in a virtual machine (the safest way, period, to run Windows!) on a Windows or Linux host.

You just said what I ALWAYS tell everybody, esp. apple lovers. They always brag to me about how they have "best system" and "immune to viruses". I just tell them - thats because you are in the minority group of computer users.
Unix file permissions and operating system design aren't "security by obscurity" and assertions to the contrary are misinformed.

Windows is nice for getting me barter goods and pocket money fixing trashed systems, so it's not all bad. :thumbsup:

If you run Windows in a VM on a Windows host, you can set a Virtualbox snapshot and immediately revert to a clean installation. Virtual PC has similar options:

Snapshots in Virtual PC?

If you download the free VMWare player and a browsing "appliance" you can browse using a virtual Firefox on a virtual instance of Linux.

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/80

Sample other operating systems:

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/

I don't get paid to fix my own computers, so I only run Windows where I need an application or tool that's specific to that OS. I make sure I have sufficient backups that any PC I own can die without it mattering much. It's easy to learn how to do these things, the internet has all the resources you need.