learning to torch cut

/ learning to torch cut #1  

deereman75

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 2120, Warner & Swasey 6000# offroad forklift, Case W9B loader, various non-running decorations
Well today I was doing some torch cutting for the first time in probably 2 years. All the torch cutting I had done then was melting my way through some rusty re-bar. I have been watching a few videos on it, and looked up the settings online. Well here it is. I was using 5 psi acet, and 25 psi oxy with an airco 00 tip. 1/4 inch plate covered in rust, spatter, and 6011 slag.
Here is some pictures of the top and bottom of the plate.
IMG_0019.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg

Here are some of the cut.
IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0023.jpg
IMG_0024.jpg
NOTE: no cleaning was done to the piece before or after the cut. The pictures are of two differnt cuts on the same piece.

So what do you think? Any tips? I wont be able to do any more cutting for a few weeks, since I am out of oxygen, and I wont be able to get to air liquide for a while. When I get more oxygen, I will be able to try any tips.

/ learning to torch cut #2  
I think one of the biggest mistakes people make with a torch is pushing the lever all the way down. There is a sweet spot with a torch, sometimes it is only an 1/8 th of an inch down on the lever. What you want is the cutting cone to reach out as far as possible from the tip, and have a turbo sound to it.

Attachments

• neutral flame.jpg
    neutral flame.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 352
  • Cutting cone.jpg
    Cutting cone.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 335
   / learning to torch cut #3  
   / learning to torch cut
I did watch all of irishfixits videos, and they helped my a lot. Also, the pictures I posted dont really show the cuts very well. They are A LOT smoother then the pictures make them look, and there is no slag under the cut. I did make a few better cuts, but this is just the one I grabbed. Some of the cuts looked almost plasma clean. I think they are pretty good for my first attempt.

/ learning to torch cut
I think one of the biggest mistakes people make with a torch is pushing the lever all the way down. There is a sweet spot with a torch, sometimes it is only an 1/8 th of an inch down on the lever. What you want is the cutting cone to reach out as far as possible from the tip, and have a turbo sound to it.

Thanks, thats a good tip. I will try that next time I can cut. Also, what kind of torch do you use?

/ learning to torch cut #6  
I don't know the model, but it is a Victor, I'm sure the set was called Journeyman. I got it in the early 1980s.

/ learning to torch cut #7  

Also make sure you lead (point ahead) your flame into the cut

A lot of people will have their torch head at 90 degrees to the piece when in fact 60-75 degree angle works much better

/ learning to torch cut
Just a side question here. How low can you let the torch tanks go? There is 100 psi in my oxy, and 50 psi in my acet. I want to get as much out of them as possible, but I heard you should always leave a bit of pressure.

/ learning to torch cut #9  
When I was cutting, my biggest problem was moving too slow. The metal would flow back together behind the torch.
Once I speeded up a bit, the cuts were cleaner.

/ learning to torch cut #10  
Sell that torch, get a plasma cutter! :laughing: