Welding Lead Ends

/ Welding Lead Ends #1  

Tractor Seabee

Elite Member
Port Orchard WA Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
Tractor
Kubota BX25
I am looking for the tapered plug end for the leads for a Wards PowerKraft Arc Welder.

The tapered plug is slightly larger than the ones for Miller, Lincoln, and Airco which are readily available. The local supplier's shop foreman said they had that problem but found Forney had one. Forney's web site does not cover. Measures .366 mm on the small end and .386 mm on the large end of the taper. Any ideas out there?

Ron

/ Welding Lead Ends #2  
Well, if you feel like making a project out of it, you can replace the machine's connectors, the suppliers have them (I guess for when they wear out).

/ Welding Lead Ends #3  
I just got rid of a welder that would have matched up.

IF you cannot find it, a soft copper pipe can be made to work as the "plug" on the end. You can crimp or solder the lead in, and shrink wrap some insulation on the "grip" end of the plug. The copper can be split down the middle, along the length with a hacksaw 2 or 4 ways to provide the gentle taper you need. May not be original, but should work.

/ Welding Lead Ends
Well, if you feel like making a project out of it, you can replace the machine's connectors, the suppliers have them (I guess for when they wear out).

Yes I may be stuck with doing that, thanks. My supplier can get the set of both pieces, it will be hard to match up but possible.

/ Welding Lead Ends
I just got rid of a welder that would have matched up.

IF you cannot find it, a soft copper pipe can be made to work as the "plug" on the end. You can crimp or solder the lead in, and shrink wrap some insulation on the "grip" end of the plug. The copper can be split down the middle, along the length with a hacksaw 2 or 4 ways to provide the gentle taper you need. May not be original, but should work.

Mark, good idea, I think I will try that if I cannot find one. Do that before changing the receptacl/bushing and the plug.

Ron

/ Welding Lead Ends #6  
Century also had those (larger than Miller) ends.

/ Welding Lead Ends #7  
Try the ones that are for Forney welders, they taper like you describe and are in the 3/8" range, I just got a set for my old Hobart tr 250 and they worked great