Amber vs green AD lens

/ Amber vs green AD lens #1  

Haywire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless :(
Is there a major difference between them as far as ability to see the puddle? I'm considering upgrading my HF helmet to a Jackson W60 TrueSight. It has a built in cheater lens and turns all the way down to shade 5 for torch or plasma.

Ian

/ Amber vs green AD lens #2  
I like my "brown/amber" lens that my Jackson has. It gives superior color imho to all that I have tried, including that funky blue/turquoise color that Speedglas uses

/ Amber vs green AD lens #3  
Everyone is different. Try any colors you are curious about with a fixed lens first as it's cheaper.

/ Amber vs green AD lens
Real reason I'm thinking about it is this. Seems like I get a tiny bit of flash every time I strike an arc. I really don't notice it if everything goes well and I don't stick the rod much, but I had a heck of a time yesterday for some reason. Stick the rod 4 or 5 times in a row and I could sort of see spots. Leads me to believe that the HF hood isn't reacting quite as fast as it should. Maybe I should take it out of that dark shed and let it sit in the sun for a day to soak up some juice.

Ian

/ Amber vs green AD lens
After much debate in my little brain, I ordered the Jackson. At least I'll have a first rate helmet, won't have to wonder anymore.

Ian

/ Amber vs green AD lens #6  
Wow. I did not know they have that one out. I have an "Executive". Works well with tig as well, even though its a two sensor.

/ Amber vs green AD lens
Oh, and I was wrong about the built in cheater lens. The description I read left out one important word. Holder. Built in cheater lens holder. I altered my order to include a 1.5 cheater.

/ Amber vs green AD lens
Got it in the mail today. At first, I thought the shade range was wrong in the advert, but it has 3 settings for range. If you push grind, it locks at 3, if you press torch, the range adjustment is 5-8, and if you press weld the range is 9-13. Seems over complicated. It would be a lot simpler if there was just the grind button to lock it at 3 and then the full range of adjustment of 5-13. I like the headband adjustment more than the HF one, but if you get it a little too snug, the temple adjustment digs into my head. The cheater only covers about half the viewing window, don't know if Jackson makes full sized cheaters for this lens or not.

Haven't welded with it yet.
Ian

/ Amber vs green AD lens
Well, it's going to take some adjustment and attention to detail. I forgot to switch from grind back to weld twice and flashed myself with just a 3 shade. Might just forget the grind mode and flip the helmet up to grind. Too much trouble to mess with.

Ian