Not welding, per se but,

/ Not welding, per se but, #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
It's actually a silver solder question.

I am in the very slow process of making some bullet forming dies, to make lead free bullets for a rifle that no one makes lead free bullets for. I cannot afford to buy the professionally made press and dies that would make this an easy proposition, so I am learning as I go. One of the ideas I have come up with is a partitioned design, with the partition silver soldered in place. This is a piece of copper tubing, approx one inch long, and I am thinking of soldering either a solid copper plug, or an inverted copper "cup" inside the tubing.

My question to you guys, is do you think when fired this partitioned jacket would hold together? I do not think a soft soldered one would at all, but wasn't sure if the silver solder, or silfos would fare much better.

What do you guys think? I know this is WAY out the ordinary, but hey, I am reinventing the wheel here. Mainly cause there's no ready made wheels available for this thing.

/ Not welding, per se but, #2  
What diameter bullet?

/ Not welding, per se but,
.375 outside. It's a flat nose design for a levergun. Overall length of the bullet is approximately 1" with about 3/4" of a solder joint.

/ Not welding, per se but, #4  
Many the carbide tool and saw blade inserts are done with Silver. Usually with a little Nickel in it. Say a 50Ni1. Or 50% Silver Solder with a dab of nickel in it. Put it on with the Black high heat flux. It will hold. Send me a message with an address and I'll send you a sample.

/ Not welding, per se but, #5  
You silver solder has a higher melting point than the lead, so it should work as far as heat. HOWEVER, if you are planning to use the copper as a mold, I dont think that will work as the lead will adhere to the bullet and I dont think you will be able to separate your mold. That is why the bullet molds are made from cast iron or steel or graphite. If you could find a graphite block, you could easily cut it into two pieces, then form it to your bullet specs with the proper sized drill and mark several bullets at a time depending on the size of your block.

/ Not welding, per se but, #6  
I'm assuming for a .375 Winchester then.
Check out Barnes. As of right now I think the solids are still in limbo with a crazy ruling from the ATF that they are armor piercing, but the TSX bullets are available in .375, but they have a point. Looks to me the easiest way to get the bullets you want and get a high quality rifle bullet I'd get a TSX heavier then you want and turn them down in a lathe to get the nose profile and length for the lever gun. Might be eaiser and get a more consistent product than making them from scratch.
I'd also contact Barnes and see if a lead free bulllet suitable for the .375 Winchester is in the works, they have been a good resource for me, I have a 38/55 that has the older spec bore size and Barnes is the only company that makes a jacketed hunting bullet in .377 that is for these rifles.

/ Not welding, per se but, #7  
i may be wrong but I was thinking he was talking about making a copper jacketed silver allow slug.. with the pipe as the jacket...

again.. I could be wrong..

You silver solder has a higher melting point than the lead, so it should work as far as heat. HOWEVER, if you are planning to use the copper as a mold, I dont think that will work as the lead will adhere to the bullet and I dont think you will be able to separate your mold. That is why the bullet molds are made from cast iron or steel or graphite. If you could find a graphite block, you could easily cut it into two pieces, then form it to your bullet specs with the proper sized drill and mark several bullets at a time depending on the size of your block.

/ Not welding, per se but,
i may be wrong but I was thinking he was talking about making a copper jacketed silver allow slug.. with the pipe as the jacket...

again.. I could be wrong..

Soundguy
You are the closest, so you get the prize!!!!! Whatever that is.:thumbsup:

It will be a copper jacketed bullet, filled with a mix of bizmuth and lead free solder, since this mix is heavier than all copper.

Dusty
Been there, still doing that. Check out these threads, if you have a lot of reading time. One is 5 pages long, the other is up to 15, so this is not a new idea, and there aren't too many stones unturned so far. Barnes does not make a bullet suitable for use in the levergun, AS IS, and it takes a lot of work to make it usable. I am having great difficulty coming up with a way to cut them consistently, and making them open at levergun velocities.

Paco Kelly's Leverguns.com • View topic - Barnes TSX for the 375 Win (updated)

Barnes TSX 375 Levergun Project (update!!)

Yes, it is for the 375 Winchester, and it needs to open/expand at a range of 15-1600 to 2200+ fps.

Gary, it's not a mold, in the sense that the casting will be taken out, it will stay in, but it cannot be lead at all. Will be a mix of bizmuth/lead free solder, or an all copper slug. The upside down cup, will be the same as soldering in a copper slug. There will be about 3/4" of joint contact, and I am hoping that it will prove a strong enough joint to prevent or greatly ****** the separation of the outside jacket from the inside one (or copper slug).

yomax4
Will do. Didn't the blade inserts were soldered in, good to know. I used to do AC work, many moons ago and got pretty good doing silver soldering the refrigerant lines.

Here are a couple of pics of where I am at with it now. The top pic shows two jackets I made (not a finished product at all) in the middle of the four. The left is a 200gr, .375 factory bullet, and the right is a 300gr TSX for the 45-70. Also the nose forming punch I made for this project.

The bottom pic shows one of the jackets sitting on the nose forming punch as it would before going into the sizing die.

21311d1329279963-barnes-tsx-375-levergun-project-update-bullet-punch.jpg

21312d1329280073t-barnes-tsx-375-levergun-project-update-bullet-punch2.jpg

Now picture another bullet jacket, with a solid bottom, upside down, placed in the jacket I made (like an upside down glass). Looking in from the hollow point nose, you'd see the flat solid bottom, of the inserted upside down jacket, about 1/4" from the nose. That is the partition. That upside down insert, is what will be soldered to the jacket I made.

Does that make sense? Hope so.

/ Not welding, per se but, #9  
I am curious as to why you cant use copper jacketed lead bullets. Are you using this cannon to shoot ducks or something. That is the only thing I know of that requires non lead is when shooting over water.

/ Not welding, per se but, #10  
Will be a mix of bizmuth/lead free solder, or an all copper slug.

If an all copper slug will work, why not use a copper rod and put it in a lathe to form the bullet? I would wonder how well it is balanced about the spin axis if you're assembling it from parts.