Welding a bucket cutting edge to softer metal ?

/ Welding a bucket cutting edge to softer metal ? #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
I am making a back blade for my Kubota mainly just because I have lots of spare steel around the property that I bought a few years ago. But I can see using it to spread topsoil on lawn and ATV trail work
For the blade I wanted to use one of the cutting edges I found that is 5inches tall that was 7 feet long but I cut it down to the 54 inches length I wanted . Now I don't have a cutting torch just a Lincoln tombstone AC welder. So I cut the edge using 220 amps and plunging the rod through until it cut the full 5 inches across , no problem ground it down to look presentable.

But now to give my blade some more height (and bonus of a flat area on top of blade for my mounting design).......I found a 4 inch by 5/16 inch angle iron mild steel and cut it to the same 54 inch length with sawsall.
But then came the hard part welding one of the long edges of the angle to the top of the high carbon steel cutting edge to give me a blade that would be 9inches tall now.

Simple enough I thought, put the cleaned up edge and the angle on my table outside, clamp in place butt to butt find my biggest 7018 rod (1/8 inch and go at it going back and forth from one end to the other to tack in place , seemed to be working.......then crack noise and weld splits at opposite end of the 54 inch length I am welding. It kept doing that so eventually I gave up on the 7018 (it was constantly sticking) and went to 6011 1/8 rod and laid a three inch bead first on cutting edge beside where butt was and then following after with a bead directly on where butt ends met. This seemed to work (I guess it preheated the cutting edge enough for each three inch tack) I also fixed the cracked beads by going back and forth . I must of used 30 rods altogether for the 54inch length. But now question is even though I do not see cracks happening anymore will it break the first time I use the blade ? Is there a way to further improve the welds without taking it all apart ? What rod would of been best ( Only had 7018, 6011 and 6013 ) was running amps at usually 135 .

signed rookie garage repair type welder
maybe will take pictures tonight

/ Welding a bucket cutting edge to softer metal ? #2  
I think I understand what you're doing, but pictures would help.
I would have used 7018, preheated some, skip welded, and back stepped the welds. Then wrapped in some insulation for a slow cool down.

/ Welding a bucket cutting edge to softer metal ? #3  
Usually high carbon cutting edges are bolted on but you can weld them. You can do a little bit at a time stitching or you can preheat the whole thing and post heat.

Stitching works better usually.

/ Welding a bucket cutting edge to softer metal ? #4  
I welded a new cutting edge on my loader, the invoice does not tell me the type of steel, I just asked for a real good piece, and he was recommended to me by a place that rebuilds machinery they make custom buckets I got a 3/4x8, 62 inches long with a 3/4 bevel. I cut out and ground the old blade that was junk and clamped it in place as tight as I could, with 1/4 x 2 angle iron, keeping pieces tight and as a heat sink. Then used 7018 to weld it in place 6 inch stitching across the piece, top and bottom, welding the bottom where the top was not, going by the colour change. I am not a fan of 60 series welding rods any of them, personal choice. I did a root pass with 3/32, then a cover pass with 1/8, and a build up passes of 5/32.
I use a spray bottle to cool the welded area, and am **** about keeping the area clean, and you do not want to use low heat as that is a sure way of getting crud in the weld.
I am retired and would weld for a while, then let the whole thing cool, and I continued stitching it, threw the whole process.
Just a thought!

/ Welding a bucket cutting edge to softer metal ? #5  
I'm not a welder, but I use blades quite a bit. I think rocks and roots will give you a shock load that might be tough on a butt weld. Would some backing plates welded over the seam on the back side help out? Most stress on the outer edges and in the middle where the pivot is.

--->Paul

/ Welding a bucket cutting edge to softer metal ?
I do my computer stuff at work and even though I took pictures last night I forgot to bring the camera card in to work.
I think I fluked it with the stich welding that I did do....but I do see how if I found a piece if 1/4 inch flatstock I could reinforce the back.
I was trying to keep the weight down on this beast , and the scrap square stock I used for the frame was already heavy oversize but it was all I had and nice and convienant fits (was from old garage car engine hoist that was castered to roll away from car.) The TSC store has some 7014 , 1/8 rod maybe I will buy and try that (the 7018 sucks big time it sticks so much)
Anyway will post pictures Monday

thanks

/ Welding a bucket cutting edge to softer metal ? #9  
wawajake said:
I do my computer stuff at work and even though I took pictures last night I forgot to bring the camera card in to work.
I think I fluked it with the stich welding that I did do....but I do see how if I found a piece if 1/4 inch flatstock I could reinforce the back.
I was trying to keep the weight down on this beast , and the scrap square stock I used for the frame was already heavy oversize but it was all I had and nice and convienant fits (was from old garage car engine hoist that was castered to roll away from car.) The TSC store has some 7014 , 1/8 rod maybe I will buy and try that (the 7018 sucks big time it sticks so much)
Anyway will post pictures Monday

thanks

The sticking part is on your end bud, practice, practice, practice. Its the only way to learn your way around it.

/ Welding a bucket cutting edge to softer metal ?
I agree I need practice , but I am seeing that 7018 requires very careful dry storage and a normal unheated garage and hard plastic sleeve they come in ( 5 lb) does not seem to do it. So it is a very finicky rod even though I do need practice.
For someone who welds maybe once a month ,random items , I can't see my wife putting up with me drying my 7018 in her stove :)
but I appreciate the advice