Going to propane

/ Going to propane #1  

Taylortractornut

Elite Member
Tractor
3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,
I have 3 torch sets. One in the home/farm shop. It goes between running my hand torch and running my table burner. One I keep in the shop at work for cutting and brazing. I found another set Im having rebuilt I want to put on my company service truck. I have my portable welder on it right now. I stil want to be able to use my goose neck trailer soe I want a smaller set up. I would rather use OA and I could get away with laying my Oxy tank down but my Acetylene tank needs to stay verticle. On past trucks i have cut a hole in the bed and made a cradle to hold it but I have a bunch cross members and other things in the way.

I looked and my O2 bottle can lay in one spot and I have an area that will nicely fit a 20 pound propane bottle an holder. Im learning to cut with propane and liking it better. My main use for this rig is the occasional cutting off of a damaged dumpster door latch or when Im at the scrap yard getting materials. I just hate loading up my big bottles to do thses jobs.

/ Going to propane #2  
I am real new to using propane for cutting as well. Seems to work real well when I do it right. Holding the flame quite a ways back is a little hard to get use to. Just using a small bar B Q bottle at present and it has barely gone down. Should work for you and easy to load.

I also have a small acetylene bottle that is normally used by plumbers. That would also work well for what you describe. It does need an adapter in order to use your normal regulator. It is also small & easy to load.

/ Going to propane #3  
Unless you're using a setup to actually weld with a torch, propane gives you more bang for your buck.