Can I use this torch for Oxy Propane?

/ Can I use this torch for Oxy Propane? #1  

Sublifer

Gold Member
Tractor
LS 4047
Northern Industrial Welders OxyAcetylene Torch Kit — Victor-Style | Cutting, Heating + Welding Torches | Northern Tool + Equipment

Its a cheap setup from NorthernTool. Yes I know I'd need T-grade hoses and Propane cutting and heating tips. What I don't know is if there are any seals or valves that wouldn't survive propane or if there is anything else about the torch that wouldn't work. :confused:

This Victor set may be a good backup but I'll need to get longer hoses: http://www.weldfabulous.com/p-20682...epropane-performer-cutting-welding-torch.aspx

I have to say though, the brass on the NT regulators is more appealing than the plastic on the Victor set. Anybody have the ESS3 regulators and have an opinion on them?

/ Can I use this torch for Oxy Propane? #2  
Don't see any reason you can't use the NT torch with propane, if you have the right tips. Unless used a lot and if you bleed your hose's you can use the regular hoses for a long time with out worry.

New too propane myself.

/ Can I use this torch for Oxy Propane? #3  
Don't see any reason you can't use the NT torch with propane, if you have the right tips. Unless used a lot and if you bleed your hose's you can use the regular hoses for a long time with out worry.

New too propane myself.

+1

lol, the plastic protective covers are goofy looking. Cheap marketing tool I guess.
Always close the Oxy/Fuel sources after use. LP will not leach through the Grade T rubber during extended use or if accidentally left on in a confined space.
Agreed, 12' hoses are almost useless.

These links might help to complete the NT set for LP/NG.
Grade T Hoses
Victor Series 3 Propane/Natural Gas Tips

:)

/ Can I use this torch for Oxy Propane?
Another question, both of those sets come with 3/16" hoses. Will the 1/4" hoses have the same fittings so I can get the longer hoses (all 1/4")?

You guys like the big brass regulators too then? I have a compressor that has a plastic regulator that cracked so I'm kind of weary about plastic when it comes to fittings

/ Can I use this torch for Oxy Propane? #5  
Fittings are standardized = all the same (here?)

there is brass under that plastic... I thunk! (plastic is a protective cover)

Cool, thanks rhett!

No one has the ESS3 regulators? I guess i need to try googling some more but finding specific info like this is always a pain...

I ordered the victor performer AF set. Mainly cuz I'd have spent as much money buying the NT set plus an LP cutting tip and an LP heating tip. For those of you who read this and have similar plans, get an AF set. Mainly cuz an LP heating tip costs $60-100 on its own. At that price you may as well have bought the victor.

btw, what I thought was plastic may not be on those regulators. Brochure points to it as a zinc-aluminum alloy that is supposed to be twice as strong as brass. http://thermadyne.com/IM_Uploads/DocLib_4679_65-1104_VictorEDGERangeBrochure_4-1-11.pdf

Last edited:
   / Can I use this torch for Oxy Propane? #8  
The ESS3 and 4 regulators are the heaviest regulators made. The "plasitc" adjustment knob is Nylon and is hooked to a shock absorber that is designed to keep your regulator from breaking off if your cyllinder falls over and it works. Go to the web site and watch the video.. They will take a flash back with out burning out like almost all other regulators do. They are billed as the safest regs on the planet. Plus they are the Only brand that performed on the Slope in Alaska. They would work at -53 and the competitive regs could not make it past -25. Not a huge thing I know but the Ess regs are very much Quality..Regs have not changed for 50 years and it's the 1st one that dared to be different. In the end, You will be pleased. :thumbsup:

I'll update with my thoughts when I get my new toys. I might even take some pics :)