Need advice on rod for QA plate to bucket

/ Need advice on rod for QA plate to bucket #11  
First off, I admit to being a fool for disagreeing with Shield Arc as he is a very accomplished welder.

Your way is better, I was just a little nervous of the 3/16 inch thick material. I can punch right through 1/4 inch material with 3/32 inch 7018.
There is always more than one way to skin a cat.;)

/ Need advice on rod for QA plate to bucket
I'll pick up a box of 1/8 7018, already have some 6011 and hope to get into it next week. Wife has an old small counter top toaster oven she doesn't use anymore that should work to warm the rods as the kitchen is no where near the shop. I'll set it at it's lowest setting and let them warm up. Hopefully they'll come in a metal container so I can put the entire container in there. Should I bother heating the plate or bucket at all? Thanks for all the advice I'll let you know how this old farmer makes out. Hopefully the welds look and work halfway decent.

thanks

Jack

/ Need advice on rod for QA plate to bucket #14  
I got started using 7014 (with an AC welder) in Wisconsin 30+ years ago when a neighbor who repaired tractors and busted farm equipment used nothing but. The stuff made me look like a regular Rembrandt in no time. I'm putting together a fork carriage for my loader and don't have concerns about weld penetration using the same rod.

/ Need advice on rod for QA plate to bucket #15  
I used 7018 for all of it except for filling a hole I made with the torch, and I used 7014 for that. Here is a link to the thread of my bucket conversion to SSQA if you have the time and want a laugh:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/208653-so-you-think-converting-pin.html

By the way, I have banged the heck out of that bucket since the conversion diging out a big stump.. ( I won see my Avatar) and not a single crack in my welds with the 7018. It was hot as blazes last summer when I welded it, even at night. It was a lot of work (for an old fat office worker like me) but it sure was worth it, and I am actually pretty proud of it.:)

James K0UA