Need advice on rod for QA plate to bucket

/ Need advice on rod for QA plate to bucket #1  

Jackfr

Gold Member
Tractor
NH WorkMaster 33 Ford F5000 NH T 4.90 Ford 2110 JD555B
I need some advice on what rod I should use to attach a quick attach plate to a bucket. I will be cutting ears off bucket and attaching plate to the rear flat surface of bucket. The plate is 1/4 inch and the back of bucket is probably 3/16 inch and I might be able to attach to some of the ears which around 1/2 inch thick but won't know for sure until I start project. I have used 6011 and 6013 in the past. I have a Lincoln 220 volt 200 amp AC/DC welder. Will either of these rods be strong enough? Which rod type size polarity should I use? We use the bucket with forks for lifting so I'm concerned about strength. Any advice would be appreciated.
Jack

/ Need advice on rod for QA plate to bucket #2  
i would use the 6011.

/ Need advice on rod for QA plate to bucket
I have never used 7018. Is it an AC or DC (negative or positive) rod. What size would your recommend and amp settings. How hard is it to use? Is this the rod that needs to be warmed before use and kept warm? I'm not the best welder but I figured I'd be able to weld horizontally on the flat by positioning the bucket. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jack

/ Need advice on rod for QA plate to bucket #5  
7018 is an AC/DC rod, run it on DCEP, (electrode holder on the + positive post of your welder). For this project I'd use 3/32 inch 7018, at around 80 to 85-amps. 7018 runs best if it is warm, almost hot to the touch. You can warm it up in your kitchen oven before using. I find 7018 very easy to use.

Attachments

• 3B.JPG
    3B.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 203
   / Need advice on rod for QA plate to bucket #6  
I dont have a running dc welder, so I buy 7018 ac rod in 1/8 and use it for just about everything. I'm just a farm welder though. The 7018 has a higher tinsel strength than 6011 or 6013

/ Need advice on rod for QA plate to bucket #7  
7018 is an AC/DC rod, run it on DCEP, (electrode holder on the + positive post of your welder). For this project I'd use 3/32 inch 7018, at around 80 to 85-amps. 7018 runs best if it is warm, almost hot to the touch. You can warm it up in your kitchen oven before using. I find 7018 very easy to use.

If he is running an AC machine how about 7014 as an option, very easy to run on AC

/ Need advice on rod for QA plate to bucket #8  
on a ac machine i would use 1/8 6011 at around 100+ amps for this application.

/ Need advice on rod for QA plate to bucket #9  

First off, I admit to being a fool for disagreeing with Shield Arc as he is a very accomplished welder.

HOWEVER, for that application you want lots of penetration into the base metals and lots of strength.

My choice would be to do a root weld all the way round the plate with 6011 - a little here and a little there on the other side, maybe 6" runs until it is all welded, to keep from distorting the plate. It will really penetrate the two pieces and stick them together.

Then I'd cover the 6011 with short weaving runs of 7018 for build up and strength until the full 1/4" edge of the plate is covered by weld. That will result on a 1/4" weld on the bucket as well. It will take at least 3 passes of 7018 - maybe more.

The forces on a bucket, especially one where there are forks hanging off of the front, are tremendous. The two pieces need to effectively be one.

Heat warping must be avoided at all costs since the quick attach has to line up correctly.

All of the rods I'd use would be 1/8". 6011 at 90-100 amps, 7018 at 120-130 amps. Use these as starting points and see what kind of beads you are getting with your machine.

/ Need advice on rod for QA plate to bucket #10  
JackFR,
i just did one a while ago and used 1/8 7018 rod with positive electrode. i guess about 120 amps, I worked great, easy to run and i havent' broke it yet. yes i have tried too! Make sure you grind everything clean, (free of paint, dirt, grease ect) b4 welding. i didn't heat the rod b4 using but i'll try it next time . . .John