Extension Cord for welder

/ Extension Cord for welder #1  

Sublifer

Gold Member
Tractor
LS 4047
Okay, looks like it is going to cost an arm and a leg to run a new outlet for the welder. As a workaround until I one day get a real workshop I am thinking of running it off my oven's outlet. It is on a 50amp break and is just inside my garage door. (10 feet maybe). So I figure I want 50' cable to be able to get outside my garage when needed but I am not sure on where or how to get the cable.

Hardware store people are stupid about welders so if you tell them 50 amp they will say 6 gauge. $200 just for a 125' length ($180 for 75' and there is no 50')

RV cords can have the 14-50 plug already but for some stupid reason often have a 20amp twist lock at the receptacle end. Some of these at 50' can be had for $100-$130.

Anybody have a good recommendation? :confused:

/ Extension Cord for welder #2  
. . . I am not sure on where or how to get the cable.

Hardware store people are stupid about welders so if you tell them 50 amp they will say 6 gauge. $200 just for a 125' length ($180 for 75' and there is no 50')
Any electrical supply should have the cable, and will cut it to any length you want. They will also have the plug ends.

It does require a 6 gauge, and if you go over 100', you will need a 4.

/ Extension Cord for welder #3  
Nothing will ruin a good welder's performance faster than using a marginal extension cord unless it is welding blindfolded with your feet after guzzling a 6pak.

Pat

/ Extension Cord for welder #5  
I got the photographer drunk and stole the negs and burned them. Didn't happen. I maintain plausible deniability. I have witnesses that can place me a long way from wherever anyone says this happened.

/ Extension Cord for welder #6  
I've mentioned this before, but I've found nice cable at my friendly neighborhood metal scrappers. Check 'em out. They might even call you if you leave a card and promise a small reward.

/ Extension Cord for welder #9  
Bigfoot62 said:
Any electrical supply should have the cable, and will cut it to any length you want. They will also have the plug ends.

It does require a 6 gauge, and if you go over 100', you will need a 4.

The cord on my welder is a 12/3. I have really long leads so I dont need an extension. But my question is, why would you need 6 ga wire for an extension cord when the welder has a 12 ga pigtail and the outlet is wired up with 10 ga from the breaker? Im not trying to be a smarty pants, I just want to understand it.