Plasma cutter

/ Plasma cutter #1  

ENG18LT

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5530 4wd
Been tinkering with metal for awhile and have managed to get by mooching friends torches when a cut off wheel won't do the trick. The other day a buddy pulled out his plasma cutter and I was impressed. Enough that I may get one. Would like to do up to half inch, any suggestions?

/ Plasma cutter #3  
I have the Everlast PP60 and never has a problem with it. I've cut over 1" with it but when cutting metal that thick it's a rough cut. But for 3/4" or less it's fine. I think the PP50 would cut 1/2" just fine. If you don't mind spending extra money you should also look at Hypertherm.

/ Plasma cutter #4  
I recently had to bury my Hypertherm Max 20 after 21 years of service.......this time I replaced it with a HyperTherm Powermax 30. It will cut 1/2" on 220 volt input power, but it isn't as clean of a cut as if you were cutting thinner material.

Most of my cutting is 1/4" or under.

/ Plasma cutter
BrianR, most of what I tinker with would be 1/4" or less. I just don't want to be limited if I need to cut 1/2".

All the replies have been helpful thank you all

/ Plasma cutter
Jake98, I checked out the link and think something the size of th 60 would be good. How long have you had yours?

/ Plasma cutter
Is Hypertherm the ones with the tip that you can put right on the material as it has the built in standoff?

/ Plasma cutter #10  
I've cut 3/4 with my PP50 with new consumables. It did well considering it was maxed out. With a roller guide like JJ linked to, I cut a few 8" circles out of 1/2" plate for a buddy. Worked fine. The nut behind the torch caused more problems with his lack of technique than the torch did. I am going to pick up some of those castellated drag tips for the thinner stuff though. Looks like it might work out nicely using a straight edge.

Ian