Mig Amp question

/ Mig Amp question #1  

Haywire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless :(
I've read that mig amps is fairly equivalent to wire speed. Turn up the amps and wire speed is adjusted to match (or visa versa, turn up the wire speed knob and the amperage is adjusted to match).

How does amps on a stick machine correlate to amps on a mig machine? Seems like they're not exactly the same.

Ian

/ Mig Amp question #2  
I must be having a bad day, I've read this 4 times and still don't know what you're asking.:confused:

Yes in most cases turning up the wire speed increases the amps. But not with a lot of the old CC engine drives, with a remote wire feeder.

/ Mig Amp question
How do amps on a mig machine correlate to amps on a stick machine. Say I'm welding 2 pieces of 3/8 material together. On my stick, I would probably use 1/8 7014 rod at about 130amps. Would you also use about 130 amps on a mig machine?

Ian

/ Mig Amp question #4  
I adjust the amps and volts for the size of wire I'm running. With Mig I really don't think so much about the thickness of material as I do the size of wire. I pick the size of wire to run according to the material thickness. Now welding position is a different story. I run flat, horizontal, and overhead pretty much the same voltage, and amps, but vertical up I turn things down.

Here bookmark these calculators.
Miller - Welding Calculators

You may want to buy these calculators for the shop.
Miller - Resources - Tools

Attachments

• Wire size to material thickness.jpg
    Wire size to material thickness.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 452
   / Mig Amp question
Thanks... I ordered the 3 pack that covers mig, tig and stick. Sometime before the year turns over a new number, I'm going to own a mig.

Ian

/ Mig Amp question #6  
Have you picked out a brand yet?

Sometimes when adjusting a Mig welder I have to stop and think. I spent so many years running CC engine drives with Innershield. At the power source you set the amps, and at the wire feed you set the wire speed. To a degree you can control the puddle with the wire speed, even though it has nothing to do with amps! If the weld / puddle is too hot / liquid add more wire, this firms the puddle up so you can control it, say for vertical up welding. If the weld / puddle is too cold, slow the wire down, this will make the weld hot, and the puddle more flowing.

/ Mig Amp question
Unless something changes my mind, I am staying green with Everlast. I like the sounds of their MTS-200S. 200a synergic mig, 200a tig, and 170a stick. Comes set up for all three with mig gun, tig torch, and electrode holder. There's a couple things in line ahead of it though. You know, frustrating important things that ***** hobby equipment purchases.

Ian

/ Mig Amp question #8  
Not to further confuse the issue but the Mig principal actually works off of Volts. Your 130 amp wire feed is approx. 19 volts. When companies call out parameters on their wire it's always like 350 inches per minute at 21 volts. as an example. So what everyone says is wire speed = volts not amps. I know it really doesn't matter. Just dial it in but when you look at the chart on the welders cover it says something like, .035 wire with 75/25 doing 1/8" MS set at 19 volts, 265 IPM and Inductance @ 30%. I do it by ear not by the chart and so will you in time.

/ Mig Amp question
That's what is enticing about the MTS... it's supposed to automatically keep the voltage right in Synergic mode. I'm not sure what the implications of that are, but taking one variable out of the process has to be a good thing for a newb.

Ian

/ Mig Amp question #10  
The sooner you can learn to set a machine by sound and sight the better off you'll be. You may never do this for a living, but I'd say at least 80% of the wire feed tests I've taken, there was duct tape over all the gauges on the welding machines when I walked into the booth. First part of the test is to set the machine to the wire manufacture's spec. Once you have the machine where you like it, the testing inspector puts gauges on the leads, if you're not within spec, end of test right there. Bye bye.