Am I stupid or crafty?

/ Am I stupid or crafty? #1  

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
Some of you may think this repair is just stupid or a waste of time, BUT I would like to point out since I broke one of the hooks off of my ballast barrel some time ago (my fault, stupid accident) I have been trying to remember where I bought it and get another matching one to fit the already drilled holes and bolts that stick through that also hold my chain retainers inside. I just did not want to redo that and have the unsightly extra holes for rust etc. After the 3rd try of buying hooks at all of my usual haunts and still not finding the right ones, I decided to weld the broken pieces back together. I Tig'ed it with the Everlast PA160 at 27 amps with 1/16 lanthenated tungsten I did not prep it very well, but figured it would do. It is back together and I think stronger than original. Ok so I am crazy for doing this, but it did not cost much, and is good experience in repairing small parts any way, and it is repaired:)

James K0UA

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    903 KB · Views: 503
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    884.8 KB · Views: 476
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    874.4 KB · Views: 459
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    832.3 KB · Views: 440
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    948.6 KB · Views: 549
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    933.1 KB · Views: 429
  • Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    839.3 KB · Views: 548
  • Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    776.4 KB · Views: 457
   / Am I stupid or crafty? #2  
Looks good but you still didn't tell us how you stupidly broke the hook.:D

/ Am I stupid or crafty? #3  
That's one of the main purposes for having a welder, not having to be at the mercy of parts suppliers.

/ Am I stupid or crafty? #4  
It's a barrel for crying out loud it's supposed to look used and beat up along with all of the attachments. :D

/ Am I stupid or crafty?
Looks good but you still didn't tell us how you stupidly broke the hook.:D

I knew someone was going to ask that:).. I had been pulling logs from the fixed draw-bar, and when backing up sometimes wrap the chain between the two hooks to take up the slack.. well somehow I left the chain draped over one of the hooks, and hooked up the tree/log, and of course it yanked the little hook down and out in a fraction of a second. Whoops,:eek:

James K0UA

/ Am I stupid or crafty? #6  
That's a project where a foot pedal really helps. What filler did you use?
You know that old saying, right?

/ Am I stupid or crafty?
That's a project where a foot pedal really helps. What filler did you use?
You know that old saying, right?

Just some house brand ER70S2 TIG rod. 1/16 inch.. what old saying? (why do I feel I am walking into something:eek:)

James K0UA

/ Am I stupid or crafty? #8  
   / Am I stupid or crafty? #9  
I had to chuckle with the title of your thread. I've been known to weld bolts together. When I restored this old 1948 welder, running a die nut over the threads of the square head bolts just didn't work on some of them. No problem, I cut the square heads off and welded them to new bolts. Sometimes it cost more in gas for me to run all the way into town, you'd be surprised what I'll weld up to save a trip to town.;)

Attachments

• Left side.jpg
    Left side.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 302
   / Am I stupid or crafty?
I had to chuckle with the title of your thread. I've been known to weld bolts together. When I restored this old 1948 welder, running a die nut over the threads of the square head bolts just didn't work on some of them. No problem, I cut the square heads off and welded them to new bolts. Sometimes it cost more in gas for me to run all the way into town, you'd be surprised what I'll weld up to save a trip to town.;)

I am somewhat the same way, Oh sure maybe I spent a dollar in argon, but I get a feeling of accomplishment when I repair something. And it is all on the road to becoming a better weldor. And Lord knows that road is long and winding:laughing:

James K0UA