Teaching welding.

/ Teaching welding. #1  

Shield Arc

Tractor
John Deere, 4200
Very good friend of mine called last week, and asked if I would teach his wife's nephew the proper way to use a torch. Friday will be this 22 year old kid's first day in his apprenticeship. Which he will be starting on a $4.65 billion bridge. My buddy will be one of the many craft superintendents on this project.
Saturday the kid came over, and I showed him how to set up, and break down a torch. How to cut with acetylene, and propane. I could tell this kid had a really steady hand. Mind you, he has never been around anything like this in his short life! Monday he came back, and I started him on some 6010, welding flat, I wouldn't allow him to use two hands. I was shocked at how well he held the correct arc length, and rod angle. Then I had him run some 7018. He caught right onto this, so I started him on some vertical up welding, just to bring him back down a peg or two:D. This will take some time for him to master, but this kid is a very quick learner! He came back this morning and worked on his vertical up with 7018, made some good improvement. So I started him on some over head welding with 7018. Remember he is welding with only one hand!
Here is his first ever over head welding! Don't know about you, but I'm impressed!

WSDOT - SR 520 Program - Costs, Funding and Tolling

Attachments

• First OH.JPG
    First OH.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 805
   / Teaching welding. #2  
Atta boy! I love finding hidden talent, everyone has something somewhere! And I hate to see it go wasted. Nice!

/ Teaching welding.
I'm really surprised how fast this kid catches on! I asked him several times if he had welded before, but he keeps saying no. I have a hard time believing him. He says he contributes his success to years of playing video games.:rolleyes:

/ Teaching welding. #4  
I'm really surprised how fast this kid catches on! I asked him several times if he had welded before, but he keeps saying no. I have a hard time believing him. He says he contributes his success to years of playing video games.:rolleyes:

That is an amazing overhead for someones first time? I wonder about that myself.
****,I still can't Mig weld overhead,and I've been at it for awhile.:) Tig,no problem,but Mig still gives me fits. I would like to know how video games could make me a better welder.;)

Greg

/ Teaching welding. #5  
I just love to see something like this here in the good ole USA. But, I'm also giving Shield Arc credit for excellent instruction. It just doesn't happen like that without it.:thumbsup: INVALUABLE

/ Teaching welding.
I'd love to take the credit, but I can't! This kid is a natural. All I do is show him how I do it, and how I've seen others do it, watch him and correct his rod angle. I was floored at how fast he learned to correct the arc length, every once in a while he forgets, mostly at the very end of the weld for some reason.:confused:

/ Teaching welding. #7  
Having worked as a certified welder and instructor....what is your thinking on making him weld with one hand??I don't see any benefit there.
Steady hands and young eyes are a great benefit.I started at about 20 years old and learned on the job.Served me well for 39 years at the trade.

/ Teaching welding. #8  
I just can't weld overhead ... whats the trick?

/ Teaching welding. #9  
I'd love to take the credit, but I can't! This kid is a natural. All I do is show him how I do it, and how I've seen others do it, watch him and correct his rod angle. I was floored at how fast he learned to correct the arc length, every once in a while he forgets, mostly at the very end of the weld for some reason.:confused:

Well, a good instructor can get the best out of a good student! Will you teach me? We will see how well you do with a lesser student! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Ken

/ Teaching welding. #10  

Good Mornin Shield Arc,
Great story, and some very good intruction Im sure ! :)