Welding Cost

/ Welding Cost #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
I bought 3 chain hooks to weld onto my tractor's bucket. Not knowing much about these things I was guessing I could get the work done here for $100-$150. I've talked to 3 welders and their prices ranged from $275- $200. Two of them were layed off and were not willing to budge on the price.
Am I being cheap or just out of touch?

/ Welding Cost #2  
Are you doing the preparation or are they? Are any reinforcements being made by them?

Are you bringing the bucket to them, or are they having to drive a welding truck out to your place?

Bruce

/ Welding Cost #3  
I really have no idea for pricing, because I've always worked for wages. But I'd say $25.00 each. That is me grinding the paint off the bucket, welding the hook on, and spraying some paint back on. So that would be $75.00 for less than an hour work, about 6 rods, half a can of paint, and a little wear on my grinding disc. Yep, I can live with that! :D

/ Welding Cost #4  
Been doing this kind of work sence 1969 and had my own shop sence 81 would be glad to get this kind of jod at APP 35.00 per hour just put two hooks on outside edges and 2:recever in the center all with back up plates. I would fell like i was gougeing over 100. good luck,

/ Welding Cost #5  
WOW, that does seem VERY expensive to me. If you are close to Westminster I would be happy to help you fo a lot less:thumbsup:

/ Welding Cost #6  
Well now is the time, to get that stick welder, some scrap to practice on and some 1/8 inch 7014 and get them hooks on yourself. I paid 269 for the everlast PA160, the rods should be about 18 bucks for 5 lbs., hopefully the scrap would be free. DO it, you will be glad you did. You might be able to pick up a used welder for a lot less. You could get an angle grinder from HF for less than 20 bucks. Sure this might cost more than hireing it done, but you will still have the welder for the next project, and start down a good learning road.

James K0UA

/ Welding Cost #7  
I would question the cheaper one and find out exactly what he will do as far as backing plates and sizes placement of hooks. Are your hooks the type meant for welding directly or does he have to grind them and bevel them down? Does your bucket need a backing plate across the whole top of the bucket that you don't have figured in?

He may be looking down the road to if the bucket bends where he welded something and he may want to reinforce it better. Just a thought. But yes, those prices do seem quite high for just a little welding and paint, but if three welders come up with basically the same price, 200-275, it's charge what the market will bear.

/ Welding Cost #8  
I agree with the others that we need a little more detail. IF re-inforcement is required and they are supplying the material/cutting/fitting, OR if they are driving out to your place....those prices probabally arent out of line.

BUT....if they are the appropriate hooks, AND you already have the prep done, AND no re-inforcement required.....yea, $200 is highway robbery for 15 minutes worth of work.

IF you were near me, I'd do it for a 30-pack of icy cold beverages:drink:

this may be a good time to get an old tombstone or thunderbolt welder off c-list for ~75-100 bucks and a 5lb can of rod too

I really have no idea for pricing, because I've always worked for wages. But I'd say $25.00 each. That is me grinding the paint off the bucket, welding the hook on, and spraying some paint back on. So that would be $75.00 for less than an hour work, about 6 rods, half a can of paint, and a little wear on my grinding disc. Yep, I can live with that! :D

6 Rods:eek"

only 3 hooks. One bead down each side, only 6 beads laid......

How are you going to burn up a WHOLE rod in the 3" or so of bead on each side????:D

Unless.........are you using 1/16" rod:D

Dont take this personally. I'm just messing with you trying to have a little fun:laughing:

/ Welding Cost
The bucket has a backer plate that I would guess to be 1/4". The hooks have a flat bottom and are made to be welded on. I would say the only prep would be to remove some paint. I have the primer and paint for finishing the job. I don't know how a welding job could be simpler.
I've tried my hand at mig welding, it wasn't a pretty sight.

/ Welding Cost #10  
Mark Page said:
The bucket has a backer plate that I would guess to be 1/4". The hooks have a flat bottom and are made to be welded on. I would say the only prep would be to remove some paint. I have the primer and paint for finishing the job. I don't know how a welding job could be simpler.
I've tried my hand at mig welding, it wasn't a pretty sight.

Take your hooks to a shop and have them welded to a plate, then bolt the plate on. It would be alot cheaper, and twice as strong. And an easy fix if you ever damage them.

ForumRunner_20120412_121416.png