Looking at a Firepower FP235

/ Looking at a Firepower FP235 #1  

aczlan

Good Morning
Tractor
Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660. Formerly: Case 480F LL, David Brown 880UE
I have someone who is offering me a Firepower FP235 AC welder in trade for something else I have. Anyone used one? Whats it worth? (he claims that it has never been used, he got it from someone else and hasn't a chance to use it)
Looks like "Firepower" is made by Thermadyne
Manual: http://www.thermadyne.com/IM_Uploads/DocLib_2642_56-1841.pdf

How can such a machine be tested? I assume that running a partial stick through it and seeing how it turns out is the only way.

Thanks

Aaron Z

/ Looking at a Firepower FP235 #2  
It looks like a simple AC buzz box. Not worth a lot. Maybe $100 or $150 at best, but it is not Red or Blue, so the price you could actually get for it will tend to be lower than that. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that posted on CL for as low as $60 or $75...

/ Looking at a Firepower FP235
It looks like a simple AC buzz box. Not worth a lot. Maybe $100 or $150 at best, but it is not Red or Blue, so the price you could actually get for it will tend to be lower than that. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that posted on CL for as low as $60 or $75...
Looking to keep it rather than resell it as we dont have a welder.
Looking on Craigslist, I can pickup a used Lincoln AC/DC for under $300 or a AC only Craftsman for $75... Will keep looking.

Aaron Z

/ Looking at a Firepower FP235 #4  
I would rate it on the upper side of the 100- 150 range,, as it has fully adjustable current range instead of taps . If it is just the AC version not the AC/DC version of course it is not desireable. But still useful, and better than some because of the full adjustability.. Too bad it is not the AC/DC version.

James K0UA

/ Looking at a Firepower FP235 #5  
Infinite adjustment is indeed much better than taps, but my experience with welders is that it goes very cheap if it is not red or blue, no matter what. You can use that to your benefit and get a deal on good equipment, but if you are talking cash value, then you are back to "is it red/blue or other?"

Plus it is AC only... FWIW

I would rate it on the upper side of the 100- 150 range,, as it has fully adjustable current range instead of taps . If it is just the AC version not the AC/DC version of course it is not desireable. But still useful, and better than some because of the full adjustability.. Too bad it is not the AC/DC version.
I should have mentioned that it is the AC only version.
Need to find out what leads come with it and such. He wants to trade the whole boat and trailer for it (19' IO boat with a mostly intact Mercruiser 470 IO and a tilt trailer).

Aaron Z

/ Looking at a Firepower FP235 #7  
Well what do you think the boat/trailer is worth? More than $150? If so, I'd keep looking...

Well what do you think the boat/trailer is worth? More than $150? If so, I'd keep looking...

Trailer $300 as it sits. If I get the paperwork straightened out, it would be worth $400-600.
Boat, the engine is probbaly worth $250-400 as it sits ($500-800 if I can get it to run), outdrive another $150-200, steering and power tilt could probbaly be sold for $100ish misc wires and such another $100 (prices per my uncle who is in the boat business), hull will probbaly cost $100-150ish to dispose of.
Currently asking $700 for the boat and trailer together "as-is where-is".

Aaron Z

/ Looking at a Firepower FP235 #9  
Uhhh yeah, you are way out of balance on THAT trade... Unless he's throwing in $500 or more on top...

Uhhh yeah, you are way out of balance on THAT trade... Unless he's throwing in $500 or more on top...

Glad I posted on TBN rather than just taking the prices I found online ($375-500) as good. :thumbsup:

Aaron Z