Lincoln Ranger 9 Onan Performer 18

/ Lincoln Ranger 9 Onan Performer 18 #1  

2458n

Veteran Member
This is a very nice welder when it is running. It is not. My question is how much fuel should be coming from the fuel pump? The current amount is very small with little or no pressure. How does the low oil pressure switch work? After cranking I have power to the coil. Before cranking with no oil pressure I do not have electric to the coil. Any help would be great. Thoughts please.......

Last edited:
   / Lincoln Ranger 9 Onan Performer 18 #2  
Re: Ranger 9 Onan Performer !8

Unsure how the low oil works. My Ranger 8 has it too. If you find that you need a fuel pump, I have a new one for for 1/2 of new.

/ Lincoln Ranger 9 Onan Performer 18
Re: Ranger 9 Onan Performer !8

I am going to gravity feed it first thing tomorrow. I have a Bobcat and a Kubota bucket both fixtured and ready to weld , but the normal ready to weld Lincoln will not fire. The Coil for the Onan is 200.00 dollars so there will be no wild parts swapping until I am certain of the problem. It just seems I am brain dead today.

/ Lincoln Ranger 9 Onan Performer 18 #4  
Don't know about your welder, but my Mercruiser kills the fuel pump with the low oil pressure switch.

Thank you for your reply. This uses a suction powered fuel pump that is driven by the vacuum caused by the pistons up and down movement. There are three lines two of which are fuel coming to and leaving the fuel pump going to the carb. The third is the vacuum line. I have found a site that lists a manual; golftech.us/Manuals/onan-service.pdf I hope that I find a answer. Been told there are 5 different oil pressure shut down switches depending on which serial number is on the engine.

Last edited:
Bad ignition module. Would discharge when turned off. Allowed it to fire once resulting in flame coming out the carb, or the muffler. 155.00 dollars later and runs like the Onan is supposed to.

/ Lincoln Ranger 9 Onan Performer 18 #7  
On my Miller with a onan performer 16 I was having fuel delivery problems. The hose that provides the pulse to the fuel pump had a crack in it. And when I took the top of the carb off the fuel bowl had a lot of white jelly looking stuff in it. I can't figure how this stuff got by the filter.
Bill

/ Lincoln Ranger 9 Onan Performer 18 #8  
Bad ignition module. Would discharge when turned off. Allowed it to fire once resulting in flame coming out the carb, or the muffler. 155.00 dollars later and runs like the Onan is supposed to.

My ranger 8 ate 1 also, seems to be common with the Onan. CJ

/ Lincoln Ranger 9 Onan Performer 18 #9  
My ranger 8 ate 1 also, seems to be common with the Onan. CJ

Is that a common problem and does Lincoln/Onan take responsibility for the repair?

RC

/ Lincoln Ranger 9 Onan Performer 18 #10  
Is that a common problem and does Lincoln/Onan take responsibility for the repair?

RC

My unit is waayyy out of warranty, it was like $29 at the small engine repair store and a minute to replace it. CJ