Longevity's Stickweld 250 / my review.

/ Longevity's Stickweld 250 / my review. #1  

Shield Arc

Tractor
John Deere, 4200
I didn't start this thread in Longevity's section because I didn't buy the machine.
One of the members here was kind enough to bring his new Stickweld 250 over this morning to let me give it a test drive. Very nice arc! Once I figured out the lead configuration where to plug into for the 6010 port, she really handles 6010 nice. We did some playing with different brands of rod. The Stickweld 250 doesn't like ESAB's 10P 6010, but does really well with ESAB's 10P-Plus, Hobart's PipeMaster, and Radnor 6010. It really loved Hobart's 335A 6011. Had a hard time starting ESAB's Atom Arc 7018, but Lincoln's Excalibur 7018 was a breeze! The member brought some Lincoln 7018 AC, I have never run any of that before, WOW! What a piece of cake to start!

Simon if you see this could you explain why when the arc force is turned all the way up, (clockwise) the machine likes to cut out, no matter the arc length with 6010? When I turned the arc force to the center it ran perfectly! :confused:
If I just had to throw a stone at this machine it would be nice if the hot start was just a little bit hotter. I didn't have any trouble but the member here had some. I let him test drive my Lincoln Invertec V350-Pro with the hot start turned up to +9.5 and he had absolutely no trouble starting the arc.
For the price of this machine, man what a deal! Very nice welder! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Stickweld 250.JPG
    Stickweld 250.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 369
   / Longevity's Stickweld 250 / my review. #2  
I love mine, cant wait untill the deck is rebuild so I can use it again. (hate having my welding ''shop'' under the deck....) I agree for the money, you cant get much better.

/ Longevity's Stickweld 250 / my review. #3  
Maybe the rheostat was wired backwards so when set to max, it was actually minimum. Did you try it at the bottom end of the setting?

Ian

/ Longevity's Stickweld 250 / my review.
Maybe the rheostat was wired backwards so when set to max, it was actually minimum. Did you try it at the bottom end of the setting?

Ian

You know that's what we were thinking. We tried so many things today it's hard for me to remember everything, but yes it seems as the arc force did work all the way counter clock wise but I don't remember to what degree. With my Invertec V350-Pro I only use the arc force on +9.5 when I'm doing open root pipe welding with 6010. Just normal 6010 welding I like -2.0, it gives the stack of dimes look without trying. With 7018 I like 0.0 on the arc force.

/ Longevity's Stickweld 250 / my review. #5  
I've read a little bit about arc force but still don't quite understand what it means in an actual application. Granted, I'm very new to stick welding. Is there a resource where I can a better description for what it does?

I'm still on my first cup of coffee so please bear with me. Seems as what I've read is arc force increases the voltage as you shove the rod in, so this helps in preventing sticking the rod. Not sure that is the proper explanation or not! But no matter why it works, it and the hot start is the best thing since chocolate ice cream!:laughing:

The member that owns this machine seems to remember reading or being told you can not use a Tig rig with this machine, so this true? I can't believe this at all!:confused2:

/ Longevity's Stickweld 250 / my review. #7  
I'm still on my first cup of coffee so please bear with me. Seems as what I've read is arc force increases the voltage as you shove the rod in, so this helps in preventing sticking the rod. Not sure that is the proper explanation or not! But no matter why it works, it and the hot start is the best thing since chocolate ice cream!:laughing:

The member that owns this machine seems to remember reading or being told you can not use a Tig rig with this machine, so this true? I can't believe this at all!:confused2:

You are correct. It also helps keep the rod lit if you get a little out of possition with your rod angle. It's a nice feature. If you turn it way up, You should be able to push a 1/8 rod through a 1/2" plate without sticking. I love hot start too. It's really cool when it's adjustable both in amperage and time.

/ Longevity's Stickweld 250 / my review. #8  
I think you can use a Tig setup with that welder. It's just with a built in Hot Start, It does that in Tig too if there is no " Tig " setting. may be hard on tungsten.

I think you can use a Tig setup with that welder. It's just with a built in Hot Start, It does that in Tig too if there is no " Tig " setting. may be hard on tungsten.

Oh! I didn't think of that. Maybe at a latter date I can talk him into bringing the machine back by, and I'll hook my Tig rig up to it and see what happens.

You think the hot start is hard on tungstens, you should see me Tig weld! :laughing:

/ Longevity's Stickweld 250 / my review. #10  

Ian

That is what my initial thought was as well. I would have to ask our engineering department to see whats going on.

I am glad you are liking the unit and thank you for the thread! We have some more interesting stick welders coming.

If anyone out there is good at stick welding and would like to do some instructional videos, we are looking to have those done.

Thanks for the support!

Simon