What diameter mig wire to use ?

/ What diameter mig wire to use ? #1  

timberwolves

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson MF-65
I have a small Lincoln 110V wire fed welder Pro Mig 140. I have been using it with the flux cored wire and now would like to set it up with 75/25% gas. The unit came with a 1lb spool of L-56 .025 mig wire. I would like to get a 12lb spool of wire but the local store here only has .035 wire ? What is the difference with the wire dia. ? Should I only use .025 or can I use .035 ? I know the limits of this machine & thats all I would be using it for.Thanks John

Last edited:
   / What diameter mig wire to use ? #2  
I've owned a few 115v migs and it seemed like the Lincoln was a little hotter than the others. It would turn down low very good with a good arc. I noticed that .023/.025 wouldn't quite get all of the power out of the unit and .035 was to much. I ran .030 the most and it seemed to get all the power out of the machine. Never liked flux cored gasless wire so I never used it but .035 would be ok there. Just my findings of course.

/ What diameter mig wire to use ? #3  
23/25 makes a nice fine weld. You can always weld up with multiple passes or weaving after your root pass. I almost always run 35 though but I have a big Lincoln and usually weld stuff over 1/8 all the time and up to 1/2" so I turn down on the low end but leave the volts high enough to flatten the welds and speed low enough to keep them that way. On the high end you make a solid root pass then weave the cover pass at high voltage and wire speed. Flux is just a mess.

/ What diameter mig wire to use ? #4  
The unit came with a 1lb spool of L-56 .025 mig wire. I would like to get a 12lb spool of wire but the local store here only has .035 wire ? What is the difference with the wire dia. ?

I'm not real good with math, but I would guess it is real close to .010 :laughing: Sorry!:eek:

With a small machine like that, I suggest 100% Co2 for gas. You'll get a little more pop out of that machine.

Here bookmark this site, really helpful calculator.

Miller - MIG Welding Calculator

/ What diameter mig wire to use ? #5  
Lift the side door on the welder and you should see a table that will give you all the info you should need to weld with your machine. Every welder ive seen like that had one, so i would imagine yours has it too.

/ What diameter mig wire to use ? #6  
For that size welder, 0.023/0.025 or 0.030 is probably all you can use for solid wire. You'll need the corresponding size drive wheels, or perhaps they flip around.

The only thing I don't like about the miller calculator is it doesn't cover the .023 size at all, for some reason.

/ What diameter mig wire to use ? #7  
It depends what you are planning to weld too. .23 is the obvious choice for sheetmetal but I like .30 or .35 for thicker material.

/ What diameter mig wire to use ? #9  
Do you not have to change tips too? And possibly a new liner?
Do your homework.

/ What diameter mig wire to use ? #10  
Do you not have to change tips too? And possibly a new liner?
Do your homework.

Tips yes but why change the liner? I don't recall liners being of different sizes. I vaguely recall that you change the liner for Aluminum (I've never welded that) but cannot see changing a liner that is in good condition.

Polarity on the other hand would need to be changed going from fluxcore to solid.