Let's talk about bandsaws!

/ Let's talk about bandsaws! #1  

TraderMark

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 1720, 2910 John Deere 970, Case 1845
I've been looking for an old iron bandsaw to use around the shop for some time now.
After months of not seeing anything within driving distance, suddenly I've found 2. I've not actually laid eyes on either one, but I have seen pictures of both.

One is a Kysor Johnson model J in really good shape from what I can see in the pictures.

The other is a Wellsaw model 1000. Also in really good shape from the pictures and will have a rebuilt gearbox by the time I get there, if I choose this one.

My question is, given that they are the same price and the same distance away(though in opposite directions) which one would you choose and why?

Thanks,
Mark

/ Let's talk about bandsaws! #2  
Save your money and buy an Ellis. The rest is just bolted / cast iron antiques not worth your time or trouble. There is a time to be frugal, but not when it comes to Metal saws. Besides if you don't like it a long list of buyers will appear, very quickly I might add.

/ Let's talk about bandsaws!
Thanks Blue.
But the cheapest Ellis I've found is 3 times what either of these would cost. I'm not a profressional fabrication shop, just a DIY fixer of my own stuff so an Ellis isn't in my budget right now.

/ Let's talk about bandsaws! #4  
I went to an auction couple weeks ago, there were two Ellis 1800 there. Oh boy they had been rode hard and put up wet way too many times!:eek: They must have been older models, because they didn't look the same as mine. I didn't stick around to see what they went for.

/ Let's talk about bandsaws! #5  
One of these days I'm gonna put a trailer hub under my saw and make it a swiveler, I hate the sheet metal stand so that's gonna be a labor of looove..:D

/ Let's talk about bandsaws! #6  
I vote Ellis of course. But if you can get a good ole saw for less that a Grand that meets your needs, It's up to you. Blades can be made any size. I love Swivel Head Ellis but you may not need that..Get it as cheap as you can and cut Steel. Beats the snot out of a hack saw or chop saw..

/ Let's talk about bandsaws! #7  
Last auction I went to back in February, had two band saws there of some considerable age, and deterioration, and there was even a "hack" type. All went for 300.00 or better. Sort of killed me to watch them go that high in such bad shape. But I saw a welding table go for 1700.00 too...but it was sort of nice, I had to admit, with a brand new cool blue paint job.

/ Let's talk about bandsaws! #8  
I found my Ellis 1800 on Craigslist, they wanted $1500, we agreed on $1200. It was in pretty good shape, with a new blade it cuts like a champ. The friction clamp isn't great on round stock, so I usually add another clamp to hold it. Being able to quickly swivel the head to make 45's is worth a bunch to me, joints fit perfectly when done. I've had a Wellsaw and a Johnson, wouldn't trade my used Ellis for either other one if it was new.

/ Let's talk about bandsaws! #9  
I used a Central Machinery dry cut saw for many years. I bought it used and replaced the guide bearings and it actually cut pretty straight. Then one day I found a giant Ramco on CL for $200. I drove 3 hours and snapped it up! It is an incredible saw.

/ Let's talk about bandsaws! #10  
If this is for cutting up steel, I would just buy yourself a chop saw. Faster, and always square cuts.