welding tips

/ welding tips #1  

BrettW

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar FF205D
OK, any of you guys got welding tips as to which type of welder a complete novice should get? Bear in mind that price is an issue for me so the 600.00 welder is OUT. It will need to penetrate 3/16 to 1/4 inch square steel tubing. thanks again, brett w

/ welding tips #2  
Man you are opening a can of worms with that question. I'll through in my two cents worth anyway. I have a Lincoln Weldpak 100. It is a 110 volt flux core wire feed welder. For welding 3/16th to 1/4 I get great results. I started out with one of those little 110v buzz box welders as a start and then I bought this one. You can't weld up the real thick stuff like you could a 220 volt stick, but for the novice that wants ease of use and low cost, about $400, it can't be beat. I buy the 10 pound spool of wire and it last me a long time. I can weld up thin sheet metal or bevel some 1/4 inch and weld it up tight. I have welded some pretty heavy duty projects with this welder and I haven't had one of my welds fail yet. I welded hooks to my loader bucket with this thing and they held, welded up 3 point hitches and they held. Sorry this has turned out so long but I think these are great little welders.

/ welding tips #3  
I bought a 110V Century wire welder a few years ago and have been quite happy with it. It can be used with shielding gas or flux core wire. I use only flux core wire. It is too far to the welding shop for gas refills. Personally, I would be leary of building a ROPS with it. I have been told flux core wire welds are not likely to be as strong as those made with a stick welder. A 220V buzz box is not very expensive and in my opinion a better bet for strong welds.

reb

/ welding tips #4  
Brett, I would stay with a major brand name (lincoln-Miller)
I would look in the newspaper for a used one,with the dough you are looking to part with.
I just retired my welding biss of 18 yrs.
Some people buy equipment and use it very little,that is the one you want to look out for,not the one thats used 24-7
Good luck, Ernie <><

/ welding tips #5  
I have had a Century 130 mig (about $500 with gas and bottle) for 7years. It works great . A mig is much easier to learn than a stick. If you bevel the edges at the joints and make as many passes as needed it will be strong enough. I would buy a welding book to study and practice, practice,practice! You will also need a way to cut and drill the metal. Good luck,

Mike

/ welding tips #6  
While the 110v Lincoln Weldpak 100 is usually easier to learn, I feel if you need to weld quarter inch material, a stick welder like a Lincoln AC/DC 225/125—sometimes called a “Tombstone”-- would be a better choice. You can also change the size and type of electrode instantly and if using an E6010, the metal being welded can be “dirty, rusty, greasy, or painted” (see lincolnelectric.com’s consumables info on electrodes.)
I started trying to weld about a month ago with a Sears 90 amp wire feed welder (made by Century), liked it, and then tried an engine driven stick machine and after getting used to it, like it better. My welds are generally terrible looking, getting better, but hold. I now gravitate toward the stick machine because I don’t spend any time cleaning the metal which I found to be a must with the flux core wire feeder. You do have to clean the stick weld by hammering it or wire brushing it if you want it to look nice because all the “dirt, rust, etc.” is brought to the top of the weld and forms a black shell over it. That’s faster than getting the base metal clean, though. Be prepared, however, either one is lots of fun and you can never have enough welders
You can get some great info on welding at the following sites: http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/ or http://www.aws.org/
The people on these boards are as good with welding questions as the folks here are with tractor questions.
Also, Lincoln and Miller have a wealth of info to help you make your choice as to which machine to buy based on your needs.

Best of luck,

Bill

/ welding tips #7  
I use to weld, did it for many years. I would go with the stick, and would go with the 7013, for a really strong weld, that will hold up to just about as much you can put on it. It may not look too good, if you don't know what you are doing, but it will hold. Just have it moving when you strike it or it will stick, if you are useing AC. Unless you get the 7013 made for AC. I like the DC better, but the AC cost a lot less.

/ welding tips #8  
Ditto to what Brent Pepper said. Got mine at a welding supply store several years back. It was factory reconditioned and under $300. Does a great job on 1/4 inch and less.

Bob

/ welding tips
Pruntyc,
Can you grind off the ugly part of the welds or will that really weaken the joint? Also, is the Chicago Electic stuff junk? I've seen them on Harbor Freight? thanks to all , bw
ps, if I do this I'm going to add some over lapping steel at the joints. brett w

/ welding tips #10  
No it won't hurt to grind off the bad looking part. It just makes a really tough weld. I would stick with the Lincoln or Miller, if you can. You can pick up a Lincoln pretty cheap new, if you buy AC, it will cost a little more for a AC/DC, but if you plan on useing it much, it will be well worth it. Don't really know anything about the Chicago Electic, so can give you no idea. Lincoln and Miller have been used in industry for a lot of years.