Welding Table Top

/ Welding Table Top #1  

BB_TX

Veteran Member
Home-1+ acres New Hope, TX / 24 acres-Fannin Count
Tractor
JD 950
Would galvanized steel be good for a top for a welding table? Or just use plain uncoated steel? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I am getting tired of setting my wooden table on fire. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Welding Table Top #2  
Galvanized steel gives off poisonous fumes when heated to a high enough temperature. My book says don't weld it (or heat it up much) without very good forced ventilation.

SnowRidge

/ Welding Table Top #3  
How about a sheet of Aluminum?

/ Welding Table Top #4  
I use a 2 foot by 3 foot sheet of 1 inch thick steel for the top of my welding
table. This makes for a nice flat surface to work on and it
is heavy enough that it will not tip or move when I clamp
heavy items to it
Bill K

/ Welding Table Top #5  
Inch thick, that's kind of light don't you think???? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Welding Table Top #6  
My memory might be faulty, but I think I've seen a welding table with a copper top. Do dingle berries not stick to copper? Or is my memory shoy?

/ Welding Table Top #7  
A little bit?
The one that my buddy replaced it with is four foot by eigtht
foot and is one and a half inch thick. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill K /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Welding Table Top #9  
You already heard why not to use galvanized steel. Thick steel is your best bet. Then you can tack things to it to hold them down at any angle. After your done break the part off and grind the small tacks. If you have a scrap yard around you'll be able to get a better price on the steel.
Eric

/ Welding Table Top #10  
When that 4' x 8' x 1.5" hunk of steel needs to be moved, it's a good excuse for a bigger tractor....