Longevity Arcmate 205P Mig/Stick welder

/ Longevity Arcmate 205P Mig/Stick welder
I've played with pulse a little bit with my Lincoln Invertec V350-Pro, but only on aluminum with my spool gun. I found the travel speed to be slower than without pulse. My understanding of pulse, be it Mig or Tig is to keep the heat down, if you adjust the background pulse accordingly.

How to Use MIG Pulse Controls to Fill Gaps - Kevin Caron

Thanks for the video. It does a great job of explaining what is going on. I imagine that I will need a lot of sage advice from the TBN Welding Brain Trust (TBN WBT), as I consider myself a utility welder at best. I certified vertical, horizontal and overhead, about 30 years ago. I have never worked on a daily basis as a welder though. Just fixing whats broke and making projects and such. Always willing to learn something new though. Welding has always fascinated me using electricity to melt metal together.

/ Longevity Arcmate 205P Mig/Stick welder #12  
I just realized in reading Shield Arc's comment that I was thinking about spray arc transfer rather than pulse.

/ Longevity Arcmate 205P Mig/Stick welder #13  
I just realized in reading Shield Arc's comment that I was thinking about spray arc transfer rather than pulse.

Now that makes sense!:thumbsup:
Spray is very fast! Here is one I did with .035 L-56 wire, and C10 gas.

Attachments

• A 29.0.JPG
    A 29.0.JPG
    458.8 KB · Views: 210
   / Longevity Arcmate 205P Mig/Stick welder #14  

Just looked up the definition of spray arc transfer. Wow that is so cool and weld looks so smooth. Had to do a double take to ensure I knew what I was looking at! But is there much penetration with spray arc transfer?

/ Longevity Arcmate 205P Mig/Stick welder #15  
Just looked up the definition of spray arc transfer. Wow that is so cool and weld looks so smooth. Had to do a double take to ensure I knew what I was looking at! But is there much penetration with spray arc transfer?

Yes, it is a very high energy process. Instead of little globules of welding filler entering the weld there is literally a spray that gives you the sort of finish seen in Shield Arc's photo. I'd love to do it but it requires Big Boy welding equipment. If I recall correctly you can do it with something like a Miller 252 and up but not the smaller machines.

/ Longevity Arcmate 205P Mig/Stick welder #16  
But is there much penetration with spray arc transfer
Boy I would sure think so! That weld was done at 207-amps and 29-volts on 1/4-inch flatbar. If I remember correctly the plates were glowing red when the weld was completed!

I'd love to do it but it requires Big Boy welding equipment. If I recall correctly you can do it with something like a Miller 252 and up but not the smaller machines.
It takes a machine capable of a lot of volts.
I don't think spray is worth it for the average guy. The metal has to be almost spotlessly clean, and you have to run 3/4 to 1-inch stick out or you fry the contact tip.
In a high production shop yes!

/ Longevity Arcmate 205P Mig/Stick welder #17  
It takes a machine capable of a lot of volts.
I don't think spray is worth it for the average guy. The metal has to be almost spotlessly clean, and you have to run 3/4 to 1-inch stick out or you fry the contact tip.
In a high production shop yes!

Oh but it is sooooo pretty. Exactly what we all dream our welds will look like (I'm not a big fan of stack of dimes).

/ Longevity Arcmate 205P Mig/Stick welder #18  
Anybody can pull a trigger. I like the stack of dimes look, takes more skill to stack them little things in a row. :laughing:

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 239
   / Longevity Arcmate 205P Mig/Stick welder #19  
Anybody can pull a trigger. I like the stack of dimes look, takes more skill to stack them little things in a row. :laughing:

It surely does take skill and practice it just doesn't mean squat to the weld quality!:p

/ Longevity Arcmate 205P Mig/Stick welder

Nice looking weld from that process. Do they use that process in applying hard surfacing? I bought some tiller tines some years back and the edges were welded with an abrasion resistant weld and it looked like it had been applied like that. From appearances like that.