Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm

Default Longevity Arcmate 205P Mig/Stick welder

I took advantage of the Longevity monthly special for the lucky TBN member who e-mailed after they post the special.

I decided on the ArcMate 205P | IGBT 200AMP PULSE MIG WELDER WITH SPOOL GUN CAPABILITY AND 160AMP STICK WELDER.

Does anybody have any experience with this particular unit?

This unit is a stick and mig welder.
    Randall

1Timothy Chapter 2:
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Tractor

Default Re: Longevity Arcmate 205P Mig/Stick welder

Does anybody have any advice on which size gas bottle to get for the Arcmate 205P?
    Randall

1Timothy Chapter 2:
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Nothing at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by dex3361 View Post
    Does anybody have any advice on which size gas bottle to get for the Arcmate 205P?
    Have you used gas previously? I've had some very helpful and experienced folks recommend that I look at how much it will take to refill various bottles. Sometimes, the difference between bottles is relatively little. If that is the case, you should establish things like portability and initial bottle cost which plays more into how much you are going to use it and how you are going to use it (lugging it around, completely stationary, etc).

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.
    Tractor
    John Deere, 4200

I like 250-cf bottles, those 330-cf bottles are getting heavier ever year.

Miller Dynasty 300.
    Lincoln V350-Pro w/pulse.
    Lincoln LF-72 wire feeder.
    Lincoln SG Spool gun.

2 Lincoln LN-25.
    1937 IdealArc-300.
    Everlast PowerArc 200.
    Everlast PowerArc 300.
    3 Lincoln SA-200s.
    1800 Ellis saw.
    Hypertherm Powermax 1250, CNC table.
    PROFAX Welding Positioner.
    JD2 model 3.

Tractor
    None yet

I put the Arkmate 205 through it paces and it worked very well. I like the small size for it power output it gives. I would go with a medium size bottle like a 135. Just my opinion. The size bottle depends on how much welding you do, the room for the package and how often you want to go and fill it. For myself my first project with it would to build a small cart to house it all. Hope this helps!

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by undercut View Post
    Have you used gas previously? I've had some very helpful and experienced folks recommend that I look at how much it will take to refill various bottles. Sometimes, the difference between bottles is relatively little. If that is the case, you should establish things like portability and initial bottle cost which plays more into how much you are going to use it and how you are going to use it (lugging it around, completely stationary, etc).
    I stopped yesterday and looked at bottles and you are correct, there was not much difference in the cost to refill a larger bottle over a small bottle. I got a 240V machine so I didn't get it so much for the portability as most of my welding will be in my garage. If the need arises I can load the welder and my small generator up and use flux core to weld in the field or take the tank if I need to. Thanks I appreciate the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shield Arc View Post
    I like 250-cf bottles, those 330-cf bottles are getting heavier ever year.
    Yes I have to agree. I cant believe how much heavier 100# is compared to 20 years ago. Those old pounds were lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by TRCA51 View Post
    I put the Arkmate 205 through it paces and it worked very well. I like the small size for it power output it gives. I would go with a medium size bottle like a 135. Just my opinion. The size bottle depends on how much welding you do, the room for the package and how often you want to go and fill it. For myself my first project with it would to build a small cart to house it all. Hope this helps!
    I started to get the Arcmate 205 but thought I should get the 205P that has the pulse feature. Why I am not positive but when I was reading up on it it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. Sure as I didnt get the feature 2 weeks into MIG welding I would be thinking man I needed the pulse feature for this. Just the way things go for me. My likely never need it. So if the more experienced welders can explain what it does for you that would be nice.
    Randall

1Timothy Chapter 2:

Tractor

I checked on the shipment of the MIG and it should be here Monday the 21st.
    Randall

1Timothy Chapter 2:

Super Star Member IslandTractor's Avatar
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH

Quote Originally Posted by dex3361 View Post

I started to get the Arcmate 205 but thought I should get the 205P that has the pulse feature. Why I am not positive but when I was reading up on it it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. Sure as I didnt get the feature 2 weeks into MIG welding I would be thinking man I needed the pulse feature for this. Just the way things go for me. My likely never need it. So if the more experienced welders can explain what it does for you that would be nice.
    My MIG welder doesn't have pulse but I did use one with pulse transfer in a welding class. It takes a lot of power and the best way I can describe using it is that it feels like you are using a water hose to spray on the weld. Very pretty smooth welds as I recall and very fast. I don't recall the welding parameters but don't think you can use it on sheet metal or stuff below 1/4 inch but I could be wrong. (it has happened before)

Tractor

Talking Re: Longevity Arcmate 205P Mig/Stick welder

Quote Originally Posted by IslandTractor View Post
    My MIG welder doesn't have pulse but I did use one with pulse transfer in a welding class. It takes a lot of power and the best way I can describe using it is that it feels like you are using a water hose to spray on the weld. Very pretty smooth welds as I recall and very fast. I don't recall the welding parameters but don't think you can use it on sheet metal or stuff below 1/4 inch but I could be wrong. (it has happened before)
    That sounds interesting. Most of my welding is on heavier stuff but I bought the MIG for the ability to weld thin metal. Besides that I wanted to learn MIG as I have always stick welded and MIG and TIG have been on my to learn list for some time. So I guess I will give it a try in the next week or so. It arrived yesterday so I will pick up a cord plug and give it a whirl.
    Randall

1Timothy Chapter 2:

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.
    Tractor
    John Deere, 4200

I've played with pulse a little bit with my Lincoln Invertec V350-Pro, but only on aluminum with my spool gun. I found the travel speed to be slower than without pulse. My understanding of pulse, be it Mig or Tig is to keep the heat down, if you adjust the background pulse accordingly.

How to Use MIG Pulse Controls to Fill Gaps - Kevin Caron

Miller Dynasty 300.
    Lincoln V350-Pro w/pulse.
    Lincoln LF-72 wire feeder.
    Lincoln SG Spool gun.

2 Lincoln LN-25.
    1937 IdealArc-300.
    Everlast PowerArc 200.
    Everlast PowerArc 300.
    3 Lincoln SA-200s.
    1800 Ellis saw.
    Hypertherm Powermax 1250, CNC table.