Harbor Freight 170 Mig

/ Harbor Freight 170 Mig #1  

eastexan

Gold Member
Tractor
Case-International
I noticed that Harbor Freight is offering its new line of mig welders, the 170 & 180 on sale at a really good price. The 170 is on sale for $199 and with a coupon it's $179. The regular price shows to be $299.

I noticed that the 170 has a different current adjustment than others have. Instead of using a dial, it has 4 switch adjustments. I don't know if that would be a negative or not.

I have a Hobart 125, but there are times I could use a more powerful 220 volt mig for thicker things. I mostly use my Miller and Lincoln stick machines.
I wasn't planning on buying a 220v mig, because I probably wouldn't be using one a lot. But with the price so low, I might go ahead and get it. And probably get the extended warranty.
I understand, of course, that they aren't near the quality of the American made ones, but still may be well worth the low price for the retired novice.:)

Does anyone have an opinion on these? What are your thoughts?
170 Amp MIG/Flux Wire Welder

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight 170 Mig #2  
I just don't know about this type of Mig machine. I'd have to run one hard for a few days. Just too many things to go wrong with a Mig machine!:eek:
But then again I paid more for my Tweco model 2 and model 4 Mig guns.:laughing:

/ Harbor Freight 170 Mig #3  
I just don't know about this type of Mig machine. I'd have to run one hard for a few days. Just too many things to go wrong with a Mig machine!:eek:
But then again I paid more for my Tweco model 2 and model 4 Mig guns.:laughing:

20% duty cycle at 110 amps won't really allow anyone to work it very hard...

I've got a 90amp HF FC mig and it served as a cheap entry into welding but now that I have a better welder I would never buy one of these 170/180 mig welders. I might consider that 80 amp stick welder for portability but the low duty cycle on that might make me buy something better.

/ Harbor Freight 170 Mig #4  
Depends on what and how much you plan on welding.

RC

/ Harbor Freight 170 Mig #5  
Harbor Freight has a number of new welders advertised now. Are there more people entering the welding scene or is HF just trying to gain a bigger share of the market?