MIG vertical up trouble

/ MIG vertical up trouble #31  
shield arc makes an important point.

Don't be afraid to adjust the wire speed while you weld. Or have someone else do it. You can tell a lot from the sound of the arc as the feed speed is changed. I think ChuckE2009 did a video not too long ago where he did that.

Also, remember that things change as you test piece heats up.

I do it all the time regardless if your not supposed too. I feel its the only way to get it spot on, dead nuts perfect and never hurt a machine yet. Made a few people cringe tho!

/ MIG vertical up trouble #32  
weldermike said:
I do it all the time regardless if your not supposed too. I feel its the only way to get it spot on, dead nuts perfect and never hurt a machine yet. Made a few people cringe tho!

wire speed is OK, but you shouldn't swich voltage on a tapped machine.

But if the voltage control is not in steps, then you can change it while welding.

/ MIG vertical up trouble #33  
you shouldn't swich voltage on a tapped machine.
Why on earth do these manufactures even build a machine like that?!:thumbdown: Don't they understand that just ties the weldors hands?!!!:rolleyes:

/ MIG vertical up trouble #34  
Shield Arc said:
Why on earth do these manufactures even build a machine like that?!:thumbdown: Don't they understand that just ties the weldors hands?!!!:rolleyes:

cheap and reliable. But it would drive me nuts to know one setting is too high and the next one is too low.
Bad enough on a MIG, I can't imagine using a stickwelder with tapped settings.

/ MIG vertical up trouble #35  
Thats why i threw one lincoln mig in the scrap pile and is why my lincoln stick welder is fixin to find itself in there too. Among other reasons.

/ MIG vertical up trouble #36  
pjbci said:
Thats why i threw one lincoln mig in the scrap pile and is why my lincoln stick welder is fixin to find itself in there too. Among other reasons.

if they still work, put them on e-bay or craigslist.

/ MIG vertical up trouble #37  
Or send them my way. I'll gladly pay scrap price for a welder just cause someone don't like tapped machines

/ MIG vertical up trouble #38  
I guess I'm a control freak! I don't like people telling me what to do, much less a welding machine! :D

/ MIG vertical up trouble #39  
I guess I'm a control freak! I don't like people telling me what to do, much less a welding machine! :D

Lmao, in a weird way I guess im the same! I do have a tapped miller mig tho that is just awsome. Like it could read my mind almost!

ForumRunner_20130506_132101.png

/ MIG vertical up trouble #40  
I guess I'm not a good enough welder, as I have never needed enough precision to want a setting "between" taps