Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.
    Tractor
    John Deere, 4200

Default Re: MIG vertical up trouble

A lot of it is probably what you're use to. I've never run a tapped machine, but knowing how I am, soon as I can't do something, that is exactly what I want to do. Just can't imagine running a machine that I don't have complete control over. Who knows I may just love having a welding machine that tells me what to do. But it took years for me to get use to my wife telling me what to do!

Miller Dynasty 300.
    Lincoln V350-Pro w/pulse.
    Lincoln LF-72 wire feeder.
    Lincoln SG Spool gun.

Lincoln LN-25.
    1937 IdealArc-300.
    Everlast PowerArc 200.
    Everlast PowerArc 300.
    5 Lincoln SA-200s.
    1800 Ellis saw.
    Hypertherm Powermax 1250, CNC table.
    PROFAX Welding Positioner.
    JD2 model 3.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Default Re: MIG vertical up trouble

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Dan View Post
    cheap and reliable. But it would drive me nuts to know one setting is too high and the next one is too low.
    Bad enough on a MIG, I can't imagine using a stickwelder with tapped settings.
    I have never run a tapped stick welder. My old transformer welder was infinitely variable. Ever since I got my Everlast, with its digital readout, I have a much better appreciation for how even five amps can make the difference between a "decent" weld and a "practically runs itself" weld. That being said, in my practice, I have been able to produce decent welds over a 10-15 amp range, which is what a tapped machine typically has, if memory serves. I don't know how MIG works, but with stick at least, you have some control over the heat input by varying arc length. If the machine is running hot, you can hold a shorter arc length to bring the heat down, and vice versa. You may find yourself running a little faster or slower than you'd prefer, but you can make it work. I have also heard people say that if you use a tapped machine, you should try out a bunch of different brands of each type of rod, to find one that runs well at the heat settings you've got.

Seems to me that the worst of the lot would be the low-end MIG machines with only two voltage settings: high and low. I guess you just control the heat input with the wire speed on them, but it sure seems like you're missing a lot.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell

Seems to me that the worst of the lot would be the low-end MIG machines with only two voltage settings: high and low. I guess you just control the heat input with the wire speed on them, but it sure seems like you're missing a lot.
    I agree. I had looked at getting a bigger MIG when I got a lot of back pay due to an accounting error. Almost bought one of the hobart ironman welders due to it's 12 voltage taps.
    Dan H.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345