Slow motion metal cutting

/ Slow motion metal cutting #2  
Neat!

/ Slow motion metal cutting #3  
Can anybody give more context into what exactly type of tool is doing this cutting? It's interesting to me how the top piece is so deformed compared to the bottom piece. It almost looks like a layer of metal is being shaved off, rather than the steel is being "cut" into two pieces.

/ Slow motion metal cutting #5  
It would be nice to have more details like speed, and some sort of size scale. Yeah, it looks like a lathe bit. And yes, they are cutting metal in the sense of how most milling/lather operations happen - with a small amount of metal at the edge of the workpiece. They aren't cutting a piece in half or anything like that, but this is the common type of metal removal operation. It is interesting how the SS one shows the remaining surface galling slightly at times as the chip builds up on the cutting tip and tears out a small chunk of the surface.

/ Slow motion metal cutting #7  
Chip making - a whole lotta shear goin' on. Almost looks like an SEM image. Very cool. Very graceful.

/ Slow motion metal cutting #8  
It amazes me how "liquid" the metal above the cut line appears. Neat video thanks for sharing

/ Slow motion metal cutting #9  
As a long time machinist I really enjoyed the clip. I had read years ago that the cutting of metal is the result of a concentration of pressure and heat just ahead of the cutting edge that brings the metal to a plastic state. The geometry of the tool than separates the "chip" from the workpiece. Iscar did an amazing job of capturing this!

It would be cool to find out exactly how they did it. I would guess a planer (the workpiece running back and forth engaging the cutting tool on each forward stroke) type machine was used for the cutting. I have no idea how the actual imaging was done, but I agree with Baby Grand's SEM comment.

/ Slow motion metal cutting #10  
Cool tool
Thanks for the posting

RC