Lincoln SA-200 Worth Repairing?

/ Lincoln SA-200 Worth Repairing? #1  

OhioCowboy

Silver Member
Tractor
KIOTI CK3510se HST Open Station w/FEL, RK24 HST w/FEL & Backhoe, DEAD-NH TC33D HST
I have an older SA-200. (? SN A-596836 Code 6340-A)
It has been sitting outside next to the barn for the last 10 yrs.
I didn't try to turn it over yet, but do know it was running great and had a smooth arc when last shut down.
I'm retired now and was thinking about getting it running again for small fixes and hobby work.
My choice is to fix this one or buy a used or new welder. I have a Continental engine we took off a tow motor
before it was scrapped-(the engine had just been rebuilt when the tranny went out). It has been inside hanging on an engine stand for 10 years. Sheet metal is still solid but needs to be repainted. I'm going to assume an engine rebuild or swap and the welder is ok. I'm not sure how much damage I can expect to the welder windings, brushes, etc from sitting idle for so many years.
Any thoughts on if it is worth fixing or just sell as parts?
Thanks,

/ Lincoln SA-200 Worth Repairing? #2  
Nobody likes those things anymore, I'll come over and get rid of it for you. :D

/ Lincoln SA-200 Worth Repairing?
ok, it is getting in the way anyway. lol
I like the welder. Not my favorite for a quick fix or small fab job in the shop though.
I also have a Lincoln 225 for the shop. But I've been thinking about learning aluminum and now might be the time to make the switch.

/ Lincoln SA-200 Worth Repairing? #4  
Your SA-200 is a 1968. Not sure if it's a split face or not. If it is they sell for more. Don't be surprised if that old girl fires right up. Worst thing, you may have to flash her to get it to weld.
I paid $200.00 for this 1966 split face, turned down $3,700.00 for it. Made the guy mad as he!! cause I wouldn't sell it.:laughing:

Attachments

• Completed.jpg
    Completed.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 6,426
   / Lincoln SA-200 Worth Repairing?
1968 is the copper windings, right? I seem to remember from one of your previous posts that the windings changed in '72. How can I tell if it's a split face?

/ Lincoln SA-200 Worth Repairing? #6  
Yes 100% copper! They call them Red Face machines. I think it was actually mid 1972 or 1973 that Lincoln went to the octagon barrel. I have a 1974 with the octagon barrel, and it doesn't weld as nice as my two Red Face machines!

/ Lincoln SA-200 Worth Repairing? #7  
I think you would enjoy having your current SA200 re-worked. It's a cool welder and a large part of history. I'm dealing on an old one right now that I want to restore.

/ Lincoln SA-200 Worth Repairing? #8  
I'd be on that like sweat on a fat girl. Tough machines and cheaper to rebuild than many smaller welders.

/ Lincoln SA-200 Worth Repairing? #9  
Mine sat for almost 30 years and runs fine. Two valves were sticking. I was able to tap them free through the spark plug holes. I cleaned out the gas tank and rebuilt the carb. The main brush holders were rusted stuck. I cleaned the commutators with fine sandpaper. The main brushes are under a sheet metal band at the end of the generator.

/ Lincoln SA-200 Worth Repairing? #10  
I have a couple WWII vintage Lincoln generator-welders at work. They aren't driven by gas motors though...they have 440v-three phase AC motors driving the DC generator. Look a bit like R2D2. I really do like those old Lincolns better than our newer and bigger miller units.
You should fix yours or sell it to someone who will use it and take care of it. They definitely don't belong in scrap piles.

-Phillip