Oh no! My bucket is broken!

/ Oh no! My bucket is broken! #21  
Good job James, growing up on a farm and using well worn equipment, learning to weld was a necessity. One of my sons learned in HS, but another waited until later in life and went to nigh school. I encourage anyone with an interest to learn, it saves a lot of money and as mentioned gives one a real feeling of accomplishment.

/ Oh no! My bucket is broken! #22  
Nice pictures and story details - Thanks for sharing.

I rarely build any projects from scratch. Projects like this one or buildiung up wallered out holes, building up rubbing wear points, vibration cracks, or it simply rusted away cracks are what I use my welder for 99% of the time. Since most of my equipment is 50+ years old my welder gets used more than you think.

In the repair world you do not need lots of expensive equipment. Matter of fact most of the expensive equipment sits idle in the repair world. Really a stick welder (as little as $75-$125 used) and a 4.5" angle grinder ($15 at HF) and you can fix a lot on metal thicker than say 1/16" thick up to unlimited thickness. Nothing gives you more bang for your buck than stick.

For those lacking power there are dual voltage alternatives from the sponsors of this forum (you would be surprised what you can fix on 115 volt with stick). Also you can power any of the common cheaply available buzzbox stick welders (e.g. Miller Thunderbolt, Hobart Stickmate, of Lincoln tomstone) on 230 volt with a 10 gauge extension cord up to 100' or more easily.

I also look for shade on hot days. Actually, I do all my grinding and welding outdoors as it keeps the dust and chance of fire in my small barn to a minimum. Usually end up welding in front of the barn and using the barn for shade.

/ Oh no! My bucket is broken! #23  
From the broken weld photo, it looks like the original welder had little to no penetration on the cutting bar likely from running too cold. Your repair looks like it will hold plenty good. Digging up rocks(or stumps) with the edge of the FEL is as good a way as I know to warp the FEL frame (Please dont ask me how I know) Backdragging with the FEL and hitting rock so stumps with the middle of the bucket is a good way to warp the center of the bucket also and a16# sledge hammer wont straighten it back either, again PDAMHIK.
I seems the bucket mfg. dont put any more weld than minimal as excess welding will tend to warp the steel so any little excessive force placed on them tends to bend and break them.
Participating in a local community college welding program might be the cheapest way to learn some basic skills. I dont know what the fees are but with the price of rods and equipment it doesnt take much to burn up several hundred bucks worth of welding rods. I would strongly suggest that you get your basic practice in at a school which is likely federally or state funded and you can weld all your want on all the processes - stick, MIG, TIG for practically free of charge prior to purchasing your home machine. I personally prefer Stick welding, but most beginners like the ease of use with the MIG machines. Take the course, decide which machine meets your needs and skill level and then go buy. The only advice I would give in purchasing is if buying a stick machine, go with DC or AC/DC and avoid the AC only machines which have limited rods available and are much harder to weld with than a DC machine.

/ Oh no! My bucket is broken! #24  
Thanks guys..It gives me a good feeling to repair something that is broken on my own. It is not just the money saved from having to take something to a shop, it is more than that.

James K0UA

That one repair probably came close to paying for your welder. The little 160 has been changed and now though it doesn't feature the 6010 port, it does work well with 6011 and to boot it has High Freq. start DC tig, and a solenoid valve built in.

/ Oh no! My bucket is broken! #25  
I was thinking the same thing.. but by the dirt and rust packed in the crack, I guess it has been broken for a while. I often use the edges to pop out rocks.. I guess at some point I tied onto one a little too hard.:eek: Anyway thankfully I did see it, and thought I had better fix it now before I forgot about it. And by looking at the other side, and comparing the factory weld.. the left side never was welded properly by my thinking.

James K0UA

Good for you, James. Excellent application of your welder and your skill. Feels pretty good to be able to do things for yourself doesn't it! You are definitely getting excellent value from your welder.

/ Oh no! My bucket is broken!
Good for you, James. Excellent application of your welder and your skill. Feels pretty good to be able to do things for yourself doesn't it! You are definitely getting excellent value from your welder.
Thanks, yes the welder has paid for itself on this repair and others. A welder is a good investment even if you buy it new, let alone the deals you can get on used ones from people that have given up on learning. It is not that hard, but I think some people just give up easily. Even my old AC225 Lincoln buzzbox paid for itself the first few times I used it. But this little PA160 is so small and easy to use and is way more flexible.

James K0UA

/ Oh no! My bucket is broken! #27  
Good save James, That little chunk thats missing on the edge of the blade looks like the culprit. Must have caught something solid. Nice save tho!

/ Oh no! My bucket is broken! #28  
I often use the edges to pop out rocks.. I guess at some point I tied onto one a little too hard.:eek:

James K0UA

That's a baaaaad thing James. You don't want to bend your loader arms. I think you need another attachment!

Bill

/ Oh no! My bucket is broken! #29  
My sweet wife bought me a 225 Lincoln back about 1974. Back then I could pick it up and take it to work in the company van which meant I didn't need to call in a pro. (called job security back then)
About 1995 the cooling fan packed up so I've only do short runs since, but 99% of my jobs get done.
I have hooked it up to stove and dryer outlets in the field but it is often easier to just take a 4kw genny with me. By choosing my rod and taking my time this is ample power for 3" angle or pipe....
Last year I also bought a cheepy rectifier DC/Plasma/tig set and find that the dc IS easier..

/ Oh no! My bucket is broken!
My sweet wife bought me a 225 Lincoln back about 1974. Back then I could pick it up and take it to work in the company van which meant I didn't need to call in a pro. (called job security back then)
About 1995 the cooling fan packed up so I've only do short runs since, but 99% of my jobs get done.
I have hooked it up to stove and dryer outlets in the field but it is often easier to just take a 4kw genny with me. By choosing my rod and taking my time this is ample power for 3" angle or pipe....
Last year I also bought a cheepy rectifier DC/Plasma/tig set and find that the dc IS easier..

AC machines will get the job done, but DC machines will get the job done with smoother beads, better selection of rods, and with the new inverter welders a machine you can pick up and go with. I used to be able to pick of an AC225 when I was a 30 something, but it was heavy for me even then. Now it would just be a great way to hurt myself.