Lincoln IDEALARC TIG 300/300

/ Lincoln IDEALARC TIG 300/300 #1  

Artisan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
Welders can I ask about this machine. Is it good bad ugly awesome or trash?
I need to look up spec's I guess, I will be needin' it to plug into 220 Single Phase.
I have 3 Millers w/ the biggest a VINTAGE machine, I so want to learn TIG.
Thanx in advance for your comments...

lincoln-tig-300-300.jpg

/ Lincoln IDEALARC TIG 300/300 #2  
i have welded with one many years ago.if it works it should weld.the newer ones have more more options.it is heavy ,should need 100 to 150 amp single phase breaker.

/ Lincoln IDEALARC TIG 300/300 #3  
Someone was just asking me about them in a PM. I know I've used them, but can't remember a whole lot about them. I know they are bullet proof! And Lincoln must have made a million of them.
One thing you can count on, is a Christmas card from your power company every year.:laughing:

/ Lincoln IDEALARC TIG 300/300
Oh Man! I have read several places now where guys say they SUCK energy BIGTIME!
Here is the deal, I can pick one up for $500.00 and I believe that is w/ all bells and
whisltes less tank...I have seen where others think that is a fair price and others say
I will pay more in electricity then what a newer Machine will cost in short order.
So for 500 is it a steal or a deal or................................?

/ Lincoln IDEALARC TIG 300/300 #5  
Bullit proof machine. $500 is a steal if all the bells and whistles like you say. Lincoln still sells a new Idealarc model- price the machine alone. Do make sure it is single phase and not a 3-phase unit.

As far as electricity, you will need 100 amp service to it. It will use some power yes, but electricity is reasonably cheap even in these times. Modern Welders of similar amp output might be 20% to 25% more efficient so it would take a casual homeowner type user DECADES to see any energy savings. Zero chance the modern welder will have the reliability of this machine.

Businesses on the other hand that run their welders to capacity everyday 24 hours/7 days a week are about the only ones who can quickly realize energy savings.

/ Lincoln IDEALARC TIG 300/300 #6  
If you are needing a lawn ornament buy it!
I got a deal on one that even had the water tank under it and wheels. It was a 1978 model. I found that it had a bad board in it. I emailed Lincoln and was told machine was obsolete, no parts available!
I talked to local repair guy who told me something about a small transformer on top of a large transformer circuit that always used excessive power. He said they were a dog.

/ Lincoln IDEALARC TIG 300/300 #7  
Make sure it is single phase before you buy it...

You can probably get away with running it on a smaller service than the 100A rankrank noted, if you do not intend to use the full machine power, or perhaps for some initial trials, etc. 300A is a lot of TIG amps for hobbyists...

/ Lincoln IDEALARC TIG 300/300 #8  
Oh Man! I have read several places now where guys say they SUCK energy BIGTIME!
Here is the deal, I can pick one up for $500.00 and I believe that is w/ all bells and
whisltes less tank...I have seen where others think that is a fair price and others say
I will pay more in electricity then what a newer Machine will cost in short order.
So for 500 is it a steal or a deal or................................?

If it comes with water cooled torch, foot pedal, flow meter, hose, and any kind of lead. I'd say that is a good price. I see them go for $800.00 to $1,000.00 all the time. Can you weld with it before buying? Never heard of Lincoln having problems with their high frequency capacitors, but the older Millers did! See if you can open the machine up and look for the capacitors. Here is a pictures of the high frequency capacitors for a Miller, (blue arrows).

Remember now this is a bare bones Tig machine! You won't have the control over the puddle you'd have with an inverter.

Attachments

• High freq.JPG
    High freq.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 2,875
   / Lincoln IDEALARC TIG 300/300
I am getting cold feet. I see it weighs like 890#'s and it is huge.
That means once I plant it, it stays and I do not like that. I am
leaning on passing on it and saving my pennies for a Miller. Heck
I have 3 Millers now, no TIG. Can I TIG weld? I have never, Can I?
Looks like somehing I will be able to do.