Grounding Welding Table - ????

/ Grounding Welding Table - ???? #1  

crash325

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC-45
I plan on putting several 110 Volt outlets on my welding table. Was thinking about using the table as a ground.

But since it is also the ground for the welder, there may be some kind of feed back into the 110V line and really screw things up.

Latest Idea - Isolate the table from the 110V LINE
Ground table to a real ground - As in mother earth.

Sure like to hear from some of you folks on the subject.

Thank You

/ Grounding Welding Table - ???? #2  
I'm not seeing the point in earthing the table. You definitely should NOT tie the 110 outlets to the table. I've had some smokey experiences from unforseen ground loops and power supplies while working in the field.

/ Grounding Welding Table - ????
I'm not seeing the point in earthing the table. - Just a thought - You definitely should NOT tie the 110 outlets to the table. I've had some smokey experiences from unforseen ground loops and power supplies while working in the field.

Thanks for your ideas - Had pretty much decided not the ground 110v to table.

/ Grounding Welding Table - ???? #4  
Ditto
I wouldn't tie the table to the outlets. Seems like a shocking experience. We don't need the extra fires in the SW :fiery:

RC

/ Grounding Welding Table - ???? #5  
Can't see any reason to tie the table to ground. You've got a ground clamp on the welder that does the job when it comes to welding. In fact, to optimize the welding process you need to place the ground clamp as near to the workpiece as you can (or better yet - ON the workpiece).

/ Grounding Welding Table - ???? #6  
My 110 outlets used metal boxes and condut, they are grounded,and are connected to the table. Never had any problems running any tools or welding, I'd rather have it tied in to the table in case of short on the 110 side. Welding ground should have no affect on the 110 ground, though I always clamp as close to the weld as possible and rarely use the table itself as the ground point.

outlets.jpg

/ Grounding Welding Table - ???? #7  
Using the table as a ground for any 110v circuit is asking for trouble. You might go for years with zero problems, but it will only take one time for a circuit to short to ground and you might be providing a path from one hand to the other, across your chest, and bingo, dead.

The short may not even occur right at the table, but anywhere in that circuit.

/ Grounding Welding Table - ???? #8  
My inclination is to isolate the 110 outlets from the the welding table.

I just looked at Miller's Arcstation welding tables and they don't offer 120VAC outlets on them.

Last edited:
   / Grounding Welding Table - ???? #9  
Ground is ground. What's the problem?

/ Grounding Welding Table - ???? #10  
I have a surge protector with several outlets hanging off a screw on my table that way if something happens to the things plugged in it will throw.