HAVE WELDER . .NEED KNOW HOW!!!

/ HAVE WELDER . .NEED KNOW HOW!!! #1  

connie1116

Tractor
TC29 NEW HOLLAND
I WAS GAVE 2 WELDERS AS A GIFT AND WOULD LOVE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT HOW TO USE THEM. YOU KNOW THE TRICKS AND THE LITTLE THINGS THAT MAKE EVERYTHING GO A LITTLE BETTER LEARNED BY THE ONES THAT DO THAT EVERY DAY. I HAVE A CHICAGO ELECTRIC DUAL MIG AND A WELD MATE 205DV STICK. I DONT KNOW ,MUCH ABOUT EITHER BUT I WANT TO SO IF ANYONE HAS TIME PLEASE SEND INFO. PLEASE AND THANKYOU

/ HAVE WELDER . .NEED KNOW HOW!!! #2  
Welding is a hands-on skill that is developed with considerable practice. Reading a book or getting forum advice is not going to make you proficient.

Try taking a welding class from a local provider. Extension or junior colleges usually have opportunities. Failing that, find someone that knows how to weld and is willing to spend some time giving you basic lessons. No matter if their skill is not professional - at least you will have a start.

(Oh, and check the CAPS LOCK on your keyboard.)

/ HAVE WELDER . .NEED KNOW HOW!!! #3  
I WAS GAVE 2 WELDERS AS A GIFT AND WOULD LOVE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT HOW TO USE THEM. YOU KNOW THE TRICKS AND THE LITTLE THINGS THAT MAKE EVERYTHING GO A LITTLE BETTER LEARNED BY THE ONES THAT DO THAT EVERY DAY. I HAVE A CHICAGO ELECTRIC DUAL MIG AND A WELD MATE 205DV STICK. I DONT KNOW ,MUCH ABOUT EITHER BUT I WANT TO SO IF ANYONE HAS TIME PLEASE SEND INFO. PLEASE AND THANKYOU

Go here, and watch every video about MIG and stick welding, on this site,

Mig Welding Tips

Then when you get done with that, either decide you are going to go it alone, or MUCH better go get some personal instruction, or take a class. You cannot learn welding from a book or video, but you can learn a lot of ideas. The only way to really learn to weld is to start welding. The solo method can take years, if you can get some help, it can really speed up the process. Good luck and it is worth doing.

James K0UA

/ HAVE WELDER . .NEED KNOW HOW!!! #4  
Excellent advice from James & GW.
Take a class and you will get up to speed so much faster and waste much less material - have you seen the price of steel lately?
Plus, you'll learn from other people in the class.

/ HAVE WELDER . .NEED KNOW HOW!!! #5  
If you can't find a class just find a local welder and ask if you could watch. I'm by no means a pro welder but I have had folks watch and become very interested in the joining of metal pieces.

/ HAVE WELDER . .NEED KNOW HOW!!! #6  
Welding is a hands-on skill that is developed with considerable practice. Reading a book or getting forum advice is not going to make you proficient.

Try taking a welding class from a local provider. Extension or junior colleges usually have opportunities. Failing that, find someone that knows how to weld and is willing to spend some time giving you basic lessons. No matter if their skill is not professional - at least you will have a start.

No doubt a welding class or experienced tutor is the best way to start welding. However, there is a textbook of welding that is set up with very well written and illustrated introductions to welding fundamentals and excellent step by step practice session exercises that would be an excellent resource to supplement any hands on tutoring you can get. Welding: Principles and Applications by Larry Jeffus is much better than most other welding books as a comprehensive intro. Unfortunately it is expensive new ($100 or close to that) but a used version is just as helpful. I got one for about $30 from Amazon. I'm sure that there are lots of used ones on the market as this text is used by a number of vocational schools and high school shop classes.

/ HAVE WELDER . .NEED KNOW HOW!!! #7  
Like the man said its a hands on kind of thing however, sign up for a class at a local (if you have one) community college. You will learn and possibly receive a very heavy textbook.

I also like the Wall Mountain videos.

RC