Miller multimatic 200 - Jack of all trades or Master of None?

/ Miller multimatic 200 - Jack of all trades or Master of None?
This one is a k-1419-4, 210amp gas w/kohler 23 hp motor, looks like the current equivalent is the 225G (k-2857-1).

I don't need mig capability, i have a mig welder and a plasma cutter. This seems to be the same as the 305g but amperage is lower. What's the problem. For 2k i also get a trailer and 150 feet of welding lead.

/ Miller multimatic 200 - Jack of all trades or Master of None? #14  
What's the problem.
No problem here! As long as you know what you're getting, or not getting.
I know my buddy's 305-G runs 6010, and 7018 every bit as nice as my SA-200s. Really nice arc!:thumbsup:

/ Miller multimatic 200 - Jack of all trades or Master of None? #15  
I don't need mig capability, i have a mig welder and a plasma cutter. This seems to be the same as the 305g but amperage is lower. What's the problem. For 2k i also get a trailer and 150 feet of welding lead.

I know my G8K/Ranger runs the crap out of 6010 and 7018 I run alot of it on pipe. I never realized that was a problem with the Import muti function units. That is why I did not purchse one. CJ

I've been doing some checking around when i had time today and i contacted a good friend who is in a position to know. He says the price is high and i can get new for about the same price with a trailer. I'd have to buy lead but a new machine with 3 year warranty is something to consider vice a 6 year old machine even if the hours are low.

/ Miller multimatic 200 - Jack of all trades or Master of None? #17  
I have not looked into the multimatic at all, but from what you guys are saying it sounds like a scaled down version of the xmt machines. Only with those you had to buy everything separately- tig torch, wire feeder, stick leads... etc. One thing to check is whether it has ac tig function. The xmt did not (at least not most of them). I have never tried but it is my understanding that you cannot weld aluminum with dc tig.

/ Miller multimatic 200 - Jack of all trades or Master of None? #18  
I have never tried but it is my understanding that you cannot weld aluminum with dc tig.
Sure you can, here is an aluminum Tig weld on DC.;)

Attachments

• 100 % Helium.jpg
    100 % Helium.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,033
   / Miller multimatic 200 - Jack of all trades or Master of None? #19  
well I guess I stand corrected. I will have to try that one of these days- next time I have an aluminum project. I am not really even very good on AC so that may be interesting.

/ Miller multimatic 200 - Jack of all trades or Master of None? #20  
well I guess I stand corrected. I will have to try that one of these days- next time I have an aluminum project. I am not really even very good on AC so that may be interesting.

Don't take his joke too seriously. DC TIG aluminum welding is technically possible but virtually no one does it. You need the AC for cleaning and perhaps other reasons. Same basic issue with oxyfuel and aluminum I think. It is certainly possible and was done routinely before AC TIG but no one in their right minds would do it routinely.