Finally.... Broke down and bought a 252

/ Finally.... Broke down and bought a 252 #1  

Agent Blue

Platinum Member
I have been looking for a Miller 252 MIG for a while. They never seem to go on sale and rarely come up on CL. This is my third Miller with a Lincoln 255 in the mix. Have to admire it a while because soon it may be scratched and have the "used " look. It fits right in with the recent Ellis 1600 bandsaw purchase. Now to increase the steel budget.

Attachments

• Shop Pictures 012.JPG
    Shop Pictures 012.JPG
    772.5 KB · Views: 315
   / Finally.... Broke down and bought a 252 #2  
I have been looking for a Miller 252 MIG for a while. They never seem to go on sale and rarely come up on CL. This is my third Miller with a Lincoln 255 in the mix. Have to admire it a while because soon it may be scratched and have the "used " look. It fits right in with the recent Ellis 1600 bandsaw purchase. Now to increase the steel budget.

That machine is used?? It looks brand spankin' new!

Beautiful machine! They've got one of those on my old job, and I was very impressed with it's performance.. That's a top quality tool that will last you a loooong time! Congrats!

/ Finally.... Broke down and bought a 252 #3  
Good luck with it, we just got one at work with a 30A spoolgun as well. So far I like it, but very sensitive to tuning.

/ Finally.... Broke down and bought a 252 #4  
I think you'll like it. I just upgraded from a 212. Really like the extra setup options and the digital displays that let you know what the real settings are.

/ Finally.... Broke down and bought a 252 #5  
very sensitive to tuning.

Thought that was the reason Miller came out with the 252?!:confused: I have read where the 250 was very hard to dial in. Supposedly finding the sweet spot on a 250 was like finding hen's teeth!:laughing:

/ Finally.... Broke down and bought a 252 #6  
Most of the Millers down through time ( except for the 35 and 200 ) had a pretty coarse set inductor. It made it hard to fine tune with minimal spatter. All work well, Just a little rough around the edges on the tuning. Weld On...

/ Finally.... Broke down and bought a 252 #7  
Shield Arc said:
Thought that was the reason Miller came out with the 252?!:confused: I have read where the 250 was very hard to dial in. Supposedly finding the sweet spot on a 250 was like finding hen's teeth!:laughing:

We also have an old 251 here as well and ballpark is close enough, you could re adjust yourself to make up the differance. The 252 on the other hand is a sweet running machine, but needs to be tuned spot on. Once your there its golden, but just finicky finding the sweet spot from job to job. For the most part with my machines I can memorize all my settings for different gauge material, not with the 252 tho, find myself always tweakin with it. Dont get me wrong, I love it, if I was the only owner operater it probably wouldnt be an issue, but I work with a couple other welders, and everyone always has there hands on the dials.

/ Finally.... Broke down and bought a 252 #8  
Back in the 1970s I worked in a tank shop, they had all Airco machines. Seems as I read somewhere Miller and Airco were tied together some how. But anyway they were really nice machines, they could have been 3-phase machines. When I first went to work there everything was Mig, then they switched to all dual shield.
The power sources looked a lot like this one, but the feeders looked like a suitcase, somewhat like an LN-25.

Attachments

• Airco Mig.JPG
    Airco Mig.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 377
   / Finally.... Broke down and bought a 252 #9  
Before I bought my Lincoln 255 I was using a Miller 210. I really liked the miller but it had knobs with little lines where the Lincoln had an LED display. Over the years people had made pencil marks so they could set it back up to the same place. I actually liked the way the Miller welded better than the Lincoln when I fist got it but I'm not sure if it was just different. I would love to hear what you think about the differences between the 255 and the 252.

/ Finally.... Broke down and bought a 252
Blackn Tan;
It will have the used look shortly after I get a chance to fire it up. Right now it is " warehouse fresh ". The dealer is three miles away. I have a oxy / acet lease there and have purchased welding supplies. They wanted fifty nine dollars to deliver ( when they were not busy with something else ). Thought I was at the Harley dealership for a moment, pay full price and they decide what you get. Not wanting to wait for Christmas I drove the day long journey myself.
My Lincoln 255 is ten years old and worked just fine. I just needed a new toy.
I will try to distinguish differences between them. ( if any exist ) Sometimes having something your more comfortable with makes the biggest share of the improvement. Color me blue !