Miller Maxstar 150

/ Miller Maxstar 150
Just spoke with the seller and found out this is a 150S. Straight stick welding which is fine by me but you can buy them new for $75 more. Should I be concerned about a 30% duty cycle rating? I see similar priced longevity are rated at 60%. Might offer him $550 and see if he takes it. Appreciate all the feedback.

/ Miller Maxstar 150 #12  
The "S" is a relatively new model. I'm kinda surprised to see one show up on the used market. And, to buy a machine for one job and sell it?? Doesn't seem cost effective to me, but what do I know...
Anyway, you're right, I wouldn't pay $750 for a machine I could buy new for $825, even if the X box was included. As far as duty cycle, only you can decide. Between fit-ups, re-loading rods, chipping, etc, I doubt that I weld more than three minutes out of ten. But, I'd think long and hard before considering any ChiCom machine. Miller says "Made in USA" right on it. They provide a REAL warranty that they back up, provide great product support and have a dealer network that is close buy if one needs assistance. No shipping the machine back on your dime, for who knows how many times. The only import I would consider would be a Thermal Arc, because they have a good reputation for standing behind their product.
Look into Chinese manufacturing, and how it's controlled by the central government. The same identical product could be made in a relatively modern factory, or a hut with a dirt floor, and the importer has nothing to say about it. The importers claim to design the machines, but this is another area controlled by the government. The claims are all hoo-haa...

Anyway, we all have to decide the best way to spend our money... "You pays yer money, you takes yer choice.." Best of luck with your decision!

/ Miller Maxstar 150 #13  
I don't believe the 150 S is a new model. It came out the same time as the STL and STH. Regardless, it is not worth more than $500 or so used. I bought a used 150 STH (well used but fully functional) for $900. That is half the new discount price from Cyberweld.

I'd compare to Thermal Arc or Everlast products in the same category before shelling out for a premium priced used Maxstar (and I have only good things to say about the welder itself).

/ Miller Maxstar 150 #14  
Miller says "Made in USA" right on it.
Hobart got their azz handed to them on their own site about 12-years ago for making this same statement! None of these machines are 100 % made in America. But you're correct Miller has outstanding customer service.:cool:

/ Miller Maxstar 150 #15  
Hobart got their azz handed to them on their own site about 12-years ago for making this same statement! None of these machines are 100 % made in America. But you're correct Miller has outstanding customer service.:cool:

My Miller says Made in USA right on the front panel. I like that, and I find it comforting that my $$$ are keeping Americans employed. That may not be very important to some anymore, except perhaps those that are unemployed, or underemployed, but it is to me.
The purveyors of the offshore machines love to spout how their machines are just as good, and that American machines are loaded with Chinese electronic parts anyway. To a certain extent, that may be true, but I spent my career as a blue collar worker, and i'll continue to support American business and American workers.

Down the road, we're finding that the cheapest price up front, may not be the cheapest over the long haul...

Let your conscience, and the job market for your children and grandchildren, be your guide!

/ Miller Maxstar 150 #16  
I agree with you 100%!
But yet you own a Kubota tractor:eek:! People who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw rocks.:laughing:

/ Miller Maxstar 150 #17  
I agree with you 100%!
But yet you own a Kubota tractor:eek:! People who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw rocks.:laughing:

Yes, I've had that comment thrown at me before also, but, I don't think there is a tractor under 45 - 50 HP that is made in this country at all. Kubota has invested in large facilities in this country for assembly and to build certain components. Even JD tractors (Yanmar)under 50 horse or so are from overseas, and that's not to mention Shibaura and others. I'm not saying I'm perfect, or it's a perfect world, but at least I AM conscious of my decisions, and how they affect Americans... now, and in the future. It IS in my thoughts, and I do the best I can. If there was a quality American tractor, I would have bought it! Yes, I own a Kubota, and I guess all the naysayers that like to push the chinese junk can always point to that fact as justification, and a salve for their own conscience, for selling the American worker down the river.. but I ain't one of 'em!
Further, I see Japanese products as far more friendly to Americans, both in a business sense and geo-political one, than those from China. And that is not even throwing the question of quality into the mix..

Perhaps more Americans should start using their purchasing dollars with more forethought for their OWN futures, that just looking for the cheapest price. It's already affecting our economy quite badly, and it's a slippery slope we tread on!

Kubota's presence in the US... Employing AMERICANS

Kubota Credit Corporation, U.S.A.
Headquarters: Torrance, California, U.S.A.

Beginning in 1982, Kubota customers have been offered a wide range of financing alternatives through Kubota Credit Corporation, U.S.A. (KCC). It provides competitive interest rates, equity financing, flexible down payments, monthly and seasonal payment terms and property damage insurance. Kubota dealers can tailor a variety of finance and lease programs to meet specific customer requirements and KCC provides fast, efficient and convenient payment alternatives vital to cash flow and other purchasing needs.

Through a comprehensive national dealer network, KCC offers personal credit counseling, excellent service and competitive finance products.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kubota Manufacturing of America
Headquarters: Gainesville, Georgia, U.S.A.

Kubota Manufacturing of America (KMA) was formed in 1988 as Kubota’s North American manufacturing base. KMA manufactures and assembles Kubota lawn tractors, zero-turn mowers, sub-compact tractors, utility vehicles, loaders, backhoes and other implements. The company employs 1200 workers. Two master buildings offer 616,000 square feet of manufacturing space. Today, approximately one-half of all Kubota branded equipment sold in the United States is manufactured or assembled at its 151-acre Gainesville, Georgia facility.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kubota Industrial Equipment
Headquarters: Jefferson, Georgia, U.S.A.

Kubota Industrial Equipment (KIE) was established in 2004 to expand Kubota’s North American Manufacturing base. KIE manufactures tractor implements including loaders and backhoes in their 440,000 square foot facility. In early 2012, construction of a new 460,000 square foot factory was started on KIE’s existing 88 acre site. The new facility will produce compact tractors for the North American market from January 2013.

Kubota Engine of America
Headquarters: Lincolnshire, Illinois, U.S.A.

Kubota is a leading OEM (original equipment manufacturer) of compact diesel and gasoline engines for industrial, agricultural, construction and generator applications. Established in 1999, KEA distributes and markets Kubota-Tough (6 to 99 horsepower), compact, lightweight, turbocharged options, liquid-cooled, low noise and low vibration engines to other top-name manufacturers serving various industrial equipment sectors. (more information www.kubotaengine.com)

Last edited:
   / Miller Maxstar 150 #18  
Shield Arc said:
I agree with you 100%!

My dads new john deere is chinese, so where do you go to buy full american. Its tough these days. Im in JD country and got flack from everyone for selling my massey and buying a kubota. They sure admire it, out of the corner of there eyes though.

/ Miller Maxstar 150 #19  
I know what you are saying, and agree 100%. We are doing it to our selves, but our elected officials are doing it on a bigger scale! Giving tax breaks to corporation to move off shore:thumbdown:! Give me a freaking break:eek:! Pay them to cut American workers throats:mad:! I like to know what % of out of work Americans are from the manufacturing sector? But, there again we are doing it to our selves! I've worked in Boeing plants, GM car plants, etc, etc, etc. Those people wouldn't know a days work if it ran over them:mad:!

You know, you could do like Miller, Hobart, and Lincoln. Take your tractor apart, resemble it in your back yard, and slap a "Made in USA" sticker on it! :laughing:

/ Miller Maxstar 150 #20  
I am told that it needs to be 51% made in USA to qualify for a USA sticker. I have a Hypertherm ( big USA Brager) There are componets from 5 countries under the hood including China. We are now in a Global Economy where we were not 10 years ago. Everyone says we need to not be dependant on foreign oil! Well, Were NOT. Our oil companies are pumping oil and selling it to China, Russia, Japan and others as fast as they can. We can buy Arab oil cheaper than we can buy American oil. That's why we buy it. Global Economy... Tractors? I have an ISEKI 30hp from Japan, Tough as nails and as good as any tractor out there. Anyway, Lincoln, ESAB and Thermadyne have factories all over the world and all use them as much as possible. My Lincoln Engine Drive was made in Mexico. Soon you will see more Miller products sourced from abroad. Some already are Italian units rebranded in USA. Look at the new Smith Torch package,. It says "Engineered and Assembled" in USA. Thermadyne has built a state of the art massive plant in Hermasillo Mexico Ran by Americans and staffed locally. It will come down to quality. If a Quality product can be made for less money anywhere in the world, That is where it will be built. 5 years from now it will be very evident. I do still try to buy American where I can.