Miller Maxstar 150

/ Miller Maxstar 150 #2  
I've read on welding forums where people who own them complain they will not run 6010.

/ Miller Maxstar 150
Sorry - Have not welded since High School in 1979. What does that mean? Is 6010 rod needed for general welding? Been looking for an easily portable stick welder and inverters seem to be the easiest to pack around. I am in no hurry so letting this go won't be an issue. Thanks.

/ Miller Maxstar 150 #4  
it should burn 1/8 6011 that is good for general welding.

/ Miller Maxstar 150 #5  
I did a search on Welding Web and Miller, didn't find the threads I was looking for, so I must have imagined the problem:confused:. But I did find quite a few threads where people were having problems with their Maxstars. Here is a thread I found on Miller. Portable Welder owns his own welding business, Sberry is a very accomplished stick weldor, X-Iron Worker.

Seems as Miller doesn't have all the bugs worked out in these machines yet:rolleyes:, maybe you should look at the Everlast lineup of small inverters!

Maxstar 150 STL SMAW set-up

/ Miller Maxstar 150 #6  
I believe there are 2 different 150's. "STL" and "STH" CLICK HERE

Looks like there rated up to 3/16" thick. So optiminal is probably 1/8" thick steel, after that
your at the outter limits of the machine. Remember that is less than 1/4" by 25% is all it is rated for.

"Selling for a friend? " Hmmmmmmm:muttering:

/ Miller Maxstar 150 #7  
I love my maxstar, I dont use it that much, but its a lifesaver when I need to go portable quick. It is a little finicky on the starts, but I never paid it much mind, and just figured it was my generator causing it. My generator spikes and drops in a split second so ya gotta be quick on the draw. Price seems fair, does it come with all the tig gear?

/ Miller Maxstar 150 #8  
Miller states that the Maxstar 150 is not optimized for 6010/6011, although they do rate it to run 6011 effectively. That said, guys do seem to run 6010 with no problems. The beauty of the machine is it's portability and the ability to change input voltage quickly and effortlessly. There are many other rods to run, so why be concerned with 6010. The difference between 6010 and 6011 is virtually indistinguishable anyway.. I've got a buddy with one and he absolutely loves it, but at home he stays with the Dynasty.

Good price for what appears to be basically a brand new machine, and Miller has excellent warranty and product support.

But, advice on anything on the internet is only as valuable as what you pay for it...

BTW, I check CL often, and rarely see Miller equipment. If I do, the price is rather high. If I found that 150 for that price, it would already be here! And, there are 3 Maxstar 150's... S, STL and STH

/ Miller Maxstar 150 #9  
I did a search on Welding Web and Miller, didn't find the threads I was looking for, so I must have imagined the problem:confused:. But I did find quite a few threads where people were having problems with their Maxstars. Here is a thread I found on Miller. Portable Welder owns his own welding business, Sberry is a very accomplished stick weldor, X-Iron Worker.

Seems as Miller doesn't have all the bugs worked out in these machines yet:rolleyes:, maybe you should look at the Everlast lineup of small inverters!

Maxstar 150 STL SMAW set-up

I own a Maxstar 150STH which is identical to the STL except that it has HF start for TIG.

You are correct that it is not recommended for 6010 rod but that is true of almost all these smaller inverter welders. Not too many people would be trying to do serious pipe welding in a nuclear plant or oil pipeline with these so I don't consider that a serious issue. I've not tried 6010 but have had very good results with 6011, 6013, and 7014. Haven't used 7018 but lots of reports that it is just fine for the low hydrogen rods.

The reason to have a Maxstar 150 is the dual voltage capability and ability to get into the 90-100 amp range with just a 15amp 110 outlet which is fine for most 1/16 or 3/32 rod. Getting up to 150amps to run 1/8 inch rod requires either 220v or a 20amp 110v power source. Makes for a tremendously flexible and portable welder for small repairs or to tack weld in the field. You could build a trailer with it but it excels in welding 14g to 3/16 even on 15amp 110V.

The Maxstars are not cheap and hold their value unlike the Chinese inverters.

/ Miller Maxstar 150 #10  
There are many other rods to run, so why be concerned with 6010. The difference between 6010 and 6011 is virtually indistinguishable anyway.
I think for the majority of us on this site, 6011 is just fine! I don't ever remember reading too many threads where guys here were working to a WPS where 6010 was specified.
I personally love Hobart's 335A 6011. Would much rather run it than any 6010 I have ever run, next in line would be ESAB's 10-P 6010.