Millermatic 252 or Lincoln Power MIG 256

/ Millermatic 252 or Lincoln Power MIG 256 #1  

OkieDave

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3316HST
I'm looking at buying new because the used market is, frankly, stupid--on the few occasions I see a decent-size unit come up for sale, the seller wants nearly a new price for it (for example, I just looked at a Lincoln 255C for which the seller was asking $1800; I can get a brand-new 256 for just under $2000 from my LWS). I've narrowed it down to either the Miller 252 or the Lincoln 256 (I think--should I consider anything else), and the prices on both are fairly competitive. They appear to have nearly identical specs; I'm down to usability. That said, what do y'all think about them? Shield Arc, I know you spoke poorly of the 250; what do you think of the 252? Does anybody else have thoughts? I'm especially interested in opinions from people who've tried both.

/ Millermatic 252 or Lincoln Power MIG 256 #2  
do you know what kind of can of worms you are opening here?

Everyone has there preference, like chevy/ ford/ dodge. More and more I hear people saying that it really comes down to color preference. I am by no means a professional welder and probably could not tell the difference between the two. I was looking for a Miller welder and ended up buying a used lincoln just because it was a good deal. Not sure what your level of expertise is, but my guess is that 90% of people buying welders would not tell the difference between the two. Even if they could it would only be because they were so used to one from using it all of the time that the other felt weird, not because it was inferior.

/ Millermatic 252 or Lincoln Power MIG 256
I'm not trying to open any can. I know the Lincoln/Miller debate is as old as the Ford/Chevy, Nikon/Canon, or 1911/Glock debates. Both are reputable brands, well-built in general, well-supported, and I don't have a dog in that fight. My level of expertise is just north of nil; I know just enough to know how little I know. I'm asking about specific models and any known issues (such as the issue with the Miller 250) in search of advice from people who have experience with those specific models.

(And, for the record, Ford, Nikon, and 1911; that said, there's nothing wrong with a Glock or a Canon. :stirthepot:)

/ Millermatic 252 or Lincoln Power MIG 256 #4  
Shield Arc, I know you spoke poorly of the 250; what do you think of the 252?
My only experience with either Miller machine is only what I've read. I think it was WelderMike who said they just got a new Miller 252 at work. Seems as I remember him saying it was a big improvement over the 250, but still a little fussy to find the sweet spot when adjusting the machine.

/ Millermatic 252 or Lincoln Power MIG 256 #5  
Not sure what your level of expertise is, but my guess is that 90% of people buying welders would not tell the difference between the two. Even if they could it would only be because they were so used to one from using it all of the time that the other felt weird, not because it was inferior.
I must fall with in that 10%, I can surely tell the difference. Especially with engine drives, I've owned both, and will take a blind test any day.;)
It really gets down to quality of arc. What one weldor likes in a machine, another weldor may not.

/ Millermatic 252 or Lincoln Power MIG 256 #6  
I looked at both of these machines but ended up buying a Thermal Arc 251 Fabricator.I chose it because it was the only one that seemed suitable for 045 flux core which is what I wanted it for.The Thermal Arc costs a bit less and has a five year warranty.I haven't used the Lincoln but have used the Miller at work,I make my living as a welder.I can't say one is better or worse,just that the Thermal Arc seemed like it is more heavy duty.Just my opinion.

/ Millermatic 252 or Lincoln Power MIG 256 #7  

Although I havent run it, I have run the 250 and 251 a bunch. The 251 is a Great machine. All the 250 series have been good in my experience.

/ Millermatic 252 or Lincoln Power MIG 256 #8  
I have the Lincoln 255 powermig and like it. I was using a smaller Miller and when first switched to the Lincoln I liked the Miller more but as time and got some time with the Lincoln I got much better with it. Of course the 255 was quite a bit bigger machine that the Miller. One thing I can say is that buying a spool gun for the Lincoln 255 is out of the question, it just costs too much. If I was ever to replace it I would look into the cost of a spool gun as it's a nice down the road option. I'm not sure if any of the other brands are less expensive (I thought Miller use to be) as it's been a decade since I was in the market for a welder.

/ Millermatic 252 or Lincoln Power MIG 256 #9  
I went to Lincoln's site, and took a look at the 256. I didn't see where Lincoln offers the pinch option with this machine. Also looked at Miller's site, the 252 doesn't offer a similar option? Up until a year or so ago I had a Linde VI-206 with Mig 21 feeder. The VI stands for variable induction. My Lincoln V350-Pro has pinch, which is basically the same thing as variable induction. Not sure if ESAB still offers variable induction in any of their machines or not. If you guys ever get the chance to run a Mig machine with this option jump on it! It is amazing how much control you have over the puddle with this:thumbsup:. When welding flat, you can wet out the puddle for a real wet flowing puddle. But when doing vertical up, you can dry out the puddle, less chance of loosing the puddle and getting one of those big grapes hanging.:eek:

Attachments

• Linde 2.jpg
    Linde 2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 847
   / Millermatic 252 or Lincoln Power MIG 256
Update: the local Airgas had the Miller on sale for about $1750 (before tax). It's in my truck now.