Anvil question

/ Anvil question #1  

deereman75

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 2120, Warner & Swasey 6000# offroad forklift, Case W9B loader, various non-running decorations
Well first I'd like to say that after over 2 months, I am back on. Now, to my question. I have found a rusted up, very old 40# stake anvil that I am hoping to buy. Now it is rough, but I think I could get it to be a decent bladesmith anvil. It was looking great until I touched the grinder to see what kind of steel it is. It sparked like old cast iron, but nothing else about it seemed cast. First, it actually rebounds quite well, even with just the bottom of the stake resting on the floor. Second, when hit on the side, it will ring. Third, it seems quite hard, and tough to dent. Finally, it has a saddle back, which seems odd, seeing as any cast anvil I have seen would crack before it took that kind of use. So, here sits an anvil that sparks like cast iron, but everything else seems like steel, not even any porosity. What I am wondering is could this be a good anvil, or would it be a door stop. It sure seems old enough to be something like hardened ductile iron, but I just don't know enough about anvils to tell. Knowing this, what do you think I should offer (if anything). If anyone wants, I can post pictures.

/ Anvil question #2  
From what I have been told, Between $1.00-$2.00 per pound is the going rate for an anvil.

/ Anvil question
For a usable anvil, that is about right, although once you see this, you realize even $1 per pound sounds stupid. It would take atleast 20 mins of grinding just to make the face workable. I think I might offer $25 for it, as it might end up a real nice anvil.

/ Anvil question #4  
If you get a price of $1- $2 per pound for a regular blacksmith anvil jump on it. Depending on the brand, a 120+ pound anvil will sell for $600-over 1000. Even the small 60# or so go or 400-500 bucks I am sure glad I found mine at a pawn shop for $60. I saw one advertised last Sunday in Little Rock Craigslist that was actually only about 2 miles from my home in Bismarck so I thought what the heck maybe someone will sell it cheap. It was the same size as my shop anvil, about 60# and was only $599 so about $10 per pound.
Check some of the prices in Houston Craigslist, the usually have a guy in there advertising.

/ Anvil question
Likely Not buying it... My uncle wants $175 for it. If I can't talk him down to $1 per pound, I will stick with my rr track anvil.

/ Anvil question
Not for sale after a reasonable offer, I think I will build my own from some heavy plate.

/ Anvil question #7  
Keep watching, they turn up now around here for a good price.

My neighbor has an anvil I can use, but I usually just use a piece of I beam, or railroad track. I only need one when I am shaping sheet metal, and they work fine for that.

/ Anvil question
I have 1 I made from some train rail, it isn't too bad, and will do for now. I am mainly a bladesmith, so I don't need that big an anvil. I will keep my eye open for a 80-100# anvil.

/ Anvil question #9  
Have any of you guys used the 110 lb Harbor Freight cast iron anvil? I'm wondering if steel ones work better after reading this thread.

/ Anvil question #10  
Have any of you guys used the 110 lb Harbor Freight cast iron anvil? I'm wondering if steel ones work better after reading this thread.

In my experience, Chinese cast iron has been very brittle. So, would not be surprised at all, if it cracked in half one day.