Thoughts on this used welder?

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #131  
Joshua, I have browsed through this thread, and haven't read every word of it, so forgive me if I am backtracking here. From the picture of your welds in DC, it looks as if you have the wrong polarity. I know I saw you having the leads matched to their "correct" color...which if the unit is connected as I think, that would mean you are in straight polarity...and would cause the beads that you see. You need "reverse" polarity to weld DC on most rods. It would also cause the other symptoms you are seeing. Your electrode holder should be in the positive terminal, regardless of the color you see on the plug side. Work clamp should be in the negative. If so, then don't forget that when you go to DC on those small transformer welders you are basically cutting AC in half...and it takes "more" setting of the amps, because you'll max out at almost 125 amps or so DC.

/ Thoughts on this used welder?
Joshua, I have browsed through this thread, and haven't read every word of it, so forgive me if I am backtracking here.

No sweat, Mark. Your input will be most welcome.

From the picture of your welds in DC, it looks as if you have the wrong polarity. I know I saw you having the leads matched to their "correct" color...which if the unit is connected as I think, that would mean you are in straight polarity...and would cause the beads that you see. You need "reverse" polarity to weld DC on most rods. It would also cause the other symptoms you are seeing. Your electrode holder should be in the positive terminal, regardless of the color you see on the plug side. Work clamp should be in the negative. If so, then don't forget that when you go to DC on those small transformer welders you are basically cutting AC in half...and it takes "more" setting of the amps, because you'll max out at almost 125 amps or so DC.

It's not included in the picture, but I have tried it both ways, with the same result.

I stuck two pieces of metal together today.

2012-10-07 20.06.35.jpg

2012-10-07 20.06.53.jpg

I ground and half-beveled the edges, but surface prep was otherwise nonexistent. At first, I had a lot of problems with sticking the rod, until I realized that I probably had poor contact to ground, causing low amperage. I moved the ground clamp to a cleaner location and had better results. All beads were run with 1/8" E6013 on AC, at about 90-100 amps, except for the #5, which was run at about 110 amps. The metal was about 1/8" thick.

1, 2, and 3 are the front side. 4, 5, and 6 are the back side of the same piece, and had no surface prep or beveling. At he end of #2, the gap between the pieces grew larger, and I tried to weave back and forth and fill in. I personally think #5 is the best looking bead. I'm not 100% sure how to judge whether it is too flat or not, but I don't see a lot of splatter or undercut, so I think it may not have been too hot. To my eye, #5 looks like it probably has better penetration than the previous welds.

I recently learned the 1 amp per mil of thickness guideline, and by that, 1/8" metal should start at about 125 amps, so maybe even 110 was low, especially given the poor surface prep here.

Obvious lesson of the day is that if you weld on a piece of scrap wood on a pair of sawhorses, you will light your table on fire. Whoops! This has not previously been a problem because I have been welding beads on a length of steel T-bar, so the weld bead was never in contact with the table.

Where do y'all get your scrap for welding practice? If I keep having to cut up this piece of 1/8" T-bar, I am going to spend more in abrasive wheels than I would just buying the metal. Well, okay, not literally, but still.

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #134  
I'm new to this myself, you know what I think you need? Is for you to be sitting in a chair, and someone reach around you grab your hand and weld a few beads. You'd be amazed how much that helps.;)

Shield Arc said:
I'm new to this myself, you know what I think you need? Is for you to be sitting in a chair, and someone reach around you grab your hand and weld a few beads. You'd be amazed how much that helps.;)

If anyone out there is in the Knoxville area, I'm game.

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #136  

Sounds like a road trip for Shield Arc!!

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #137  
I'd run an ad in your local Craig's list, If you have one. There is a guy who runs an ad in our Craig's list offering his services to help guys learn how to set their new welders, or to give one on one instruction. I think I remember reading where he charges $25.00 an hour.

Another options is place an ad on the bulletin board at your local welding supply. Even talk to the guys behind the counter, ask them if they know of some old retired beat up weldor who would be willing to help a new guy. I think you'd be surprised at how many old weldors are willing to pass on their knowledge! I know I' am, he!! I'm not using it!

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #138  
maybe next trip to gatlinburg .i wish you would try some 1/8 6011 rods at about 125 on ac.then post them.

maybe next trip to gatlinburg .i wish you would try some 1/8 6011 rods at about 125 on ac.then post them.

I actually have done that, but not since I got the auto-dark hood, so maybe I ought to run a few more beads and see if the results have improved any. A guy who was getting out of welding sold me a bunch of his old supplies on the cheap, and one of them was a box of 6011.

Here you go. I found the old photo.

2012-09-22 15.55.45.jpg

That's 1/8" E6011 at about 90 or 100 amps, so not exactly what you're asking for, but it's something. I'll burn some at 125 next time I get a chance.

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #140  
There are sections of some of your beads that are not all that bad:thumbsup:. But let me tell you something, it is hard for anybody to make beads look good that are welded on a flat plate! If you started making fillet, or lap welds, or even grind a groove in the plate, and fill the groove up, your beads would look a lot better. At the least, stack one bead halfway on top of the other, that is somewhat like a fillet weld. Start on the edge of the plate, make as straight a bead as you can, stack the next bead halfway on top of the first, etc, etc, etc. But don't run more than 3 or 4 beads before dunking the plate under some water.;)