Thoughts on this used welder?

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #11  
I would look at one of the flux core welders at Harbor Freight, if cost is important. I use a Weld Pack 100 Lincoln w/flux core. Unless u are trying to weld over 1/4 to 5/16" thick stuff, then would recommend a stick. Its a little harder to learn on a Stick welder than the wire feed. My stick welder has not been used in since I got the flux core, about 20 years back. The 70 amp would be fine for torch but not much of a stick welder.

Would be nice have some one to help u get started or maybe check the trade schools around u to see if they are going to have a welding course any time soon (TN has several and if they get enough requests, they will set up a course, I took one even tho I was fairly good with the stick welder and to learn more about welding which had changed since the late 50s and early 60s). U can learn on your own, but is easier with some one to help u get started.

Per the manual specs, it draws up to 20 amps. So if I figured it correctly, a 4500 watt generator to handle it.

Last edited:
   / Thoughts on this used welder?
If we assume I'm willing to put in the time and practice, what are the other reasons to choose stick over flux, or vice versa. I've done enough web searching now to know that's a hairy question, but give it a go if you care to.

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #13  
I will give it a go, but maybe some more of the pro's will weigh in..I am basically a hobby welder.
Stick is a little harder to learn, both can weld outside, Stick is more flexible, lots of different electrodes, and can weld different materiel's easily and quickly. Just change sticks.. Less to go wrong with Stick.. No drive rolls, motors, liners, guns. etc.. Flux is easier , Makes pretty good welds, but typically to get good penetration on heavy materiel you need a heavy duty more expensive welder. Both have some downsides, no one process is perfect. (That is why you need to invest in multiple machines like Shield Arc:)). Some guys like one over the other, for lots of different reasons, they are not right or wrong. I have a nice DC stick machine that I also use to TIG with, it takes care of the larger heavier materiel's and the fine work with the TIG. If I was making something on a repeatable basis, like semi production work, I would have a MIG for inside pretty work and with Flux Core if needed to weld outside.. If I needed to weld Aluminum I would Mig it or get a good Dedicated AC/DC Tig rig. But what I have (Everlast PA160) works well for me. You have to start somewhere.

James K0UA

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #14  
I spent the majority of my welding career running gas less flux core, but it was on 400 + amp machines! Personally, I wouldn't drag a 90-amps flux core welding machine home if it was free.
You'll get more bang for your buck with a stick welder!;)

Here is some welds I did awhile back, after digging my Montgomery Wards welder out of the back of the barn.

Attachments

• 7018 ACDC.JPG
    7018 ACDC.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 411
  • 7018 DC2.JPG
    7018 DC2.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 507
  • aaaa3.JPG
    aaaa3.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 321
   / Thoughts on this used welder? #15  
I believe that I have that exact same 50 amp stick welder. In my opinion it is not a good learner machine at all. For a few dollars more you can get a decent 220 buzzbox.

Only rods that I can burn on mine is either 1/16" 7014 easy strikes from harbor freight or quick strikes from Menards. I can also run 5/64" 6013 from with it. Thats it and i have tried many other brands and sizes. Forget 3/32 diameters.

It can do some things even with only 2 rod choices but no way would i pay $65. I paid $8 for mine at a garage sale 15 years ago.

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #16  
One advantage I can think of with flux core (and especially mig) is operatirg cost. Sticks can get expensive, but this really only comes into consideration if you are doing a lot of welding, otherwise it is negligible.

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #17  
i would recommend these welders for a beginner.if you get 220 get a miller thunderbolt acdc stick.for a 110 mig i like a lincoln 140 with tapped setting.for your generator you might try a everlast 140 stick on 220. it is easier to learn mig or fluxcore than stick.stick is much better for thicker metal.your wasting your time on a 110 stick machine.

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #18  
stick is much better for thicker metal.your wasting your time on a 110 stick machine.

100% agree

My dad had a cheap ac lincoln 220 stick welder. We were trying to do body work with it :mur: He even bought some adapter to hold smaller rods and it brought the current even lower. Granted I was even less experienced then, but I found it impossible to try to stick weld with that low of current.

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #19  
I would personally buy a stick welder if I was just learning, you need to learn the basics in stick then expand from there. If your just starting out wire feed welders are a pain because you have to deL with birdnesting. Which is a waste of precious time when your already stressed to learn a seemingly difficult skill.but a stick welder is definitely not made for body work.

/ Thoughts on this used welder?
Well, guys, I have done a lot of reading about the difference between stick welders and flux-core welders, and bottom line: it seems to me like this Ward AC/DC stick welder is a heck of a deal at that price, whereas I don't see much in the way of flux-core welders in the same price range, never mind the same apparent value-for-money. When I search around, it seems like people are asking $100-150 for AC-only stick welders in similar amp ranges. I checked this evening, and the Ward AC/DC I linked to above is still available a week later, so I bet I can get the guy to take a little less than $100 for it. But even if he sticks at $100, it seems like a real steal and I think I will go for it. What do y'all think?

I also thought through the 220-volt issue, and I realized that the concrete pad behind my house would probably be perfect for welding. It's flat if I need to square up anything big; it's enclosed on three sides (leads to a daylight basement) so nobody will be inadvertently exposed to the arc; there's nothing flammable nearby, like there is in my barn/wood shop; and best of all, it is RIGHT by the electric meter and main service panel, so if I one day want to put an outdoor-rated 220 receptacle in, there should be absolutely minimal wiring. Maybe I'll have the electrician put in the generator transfer switch while I'm at it...