Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15222324252627 LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 268
  1. #241
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,972
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

    Default Re: Thoughts on this used welder?

    Quote Originally Posted by dex3361 View Post
    So Josh, now that you are welding some with a functioning DC welder, do you notice what we are all talking about with how much better DC welds than AC?
    It's hard to say, Dex. I think so, yes, but at this point my skill level is low enough that all my welds look pretty bad, AC or DC. If the DC ones look marginally better, I can hardly see the difference! I will say that the arc is much easier to start with DC--not that it's hard with AC, mind you--and I do think I notice that the arc is "calmer" on DC, with a lot less spatter.

  2. #242
    Elite Member dex3361's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,571
    Location
    N. of Charleston WV
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm

    Default Re: Thoughts on this used welder?

    When you get a little farther along you will find you can run dc with a little more control than AC. From the looks of your welds they seem to be improving. It look to me like you need to push your welding rod into the puddle a bit more. I would also stick with a specific rod for a while to get the feel for hoe it welds. The easiest rod to weld with is a 7014 and it has to be run hotter than say a 6011. Get a rod amp chart and start with the recomended settings and adjust from there. Every welder is a little different so dont expect the settings to be the exact same. Watch the puddle and keep the arc length short, be consistant and keep at it.
    Randall



    1Timothy Chapter 2:
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
    From: The HOLY BIBLE

  3. #243
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,972
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

    Default Re: Thoughts on this used welder?

    Quote Originally Posted by dex3361 View Post
    It look to me like you need to push your welding rod into the puddle a bit more. I would also stick with a specific rod for a while to get the feel for hoe it welds. The easiest rod to weld with is a 7014 and it has to be run hotter than say a 6011.
    When you say "push the rod into the puddle," do you mean simply keep a shorter arc, or literally push the rod back into the puddle? I don't think you mean to literally submerge the tip of the rod into the puddle, since that would kill the arc, right? I have been trying to lead the puddle with the rod, keeping the rod at the front of the puddle. Is that not right?

    I decided to spring for five pounds of 3/32 rod today, because I think it will work better on the 1/8" stock I'm practicing on than the 1/8" rods I have been using. The store didn't have 7014 in that size/quantity, so I settled for 6011 and that's what I'll be practicing with until I burn it up. You're definitely right that the 7014 runs like a dream. It instantly makes my beads look a thousand times better. 6011 is always pretty terrible looking. Very uneven and lots of slag inclusion and porosity.

    I will say one difference I have for sure noticed about DC. If I stick the rod and can't quickly twist it loose, I have been in the practice of pressing the stinger handle with my thumb and pulling it off the stick. I learned this from one of the Wall Mountain videos. Well, if I do that on DC, I get a huge flare between the rod and the stinger that has left some scorch marks on it. Since I have been practicing on smaller pieces, I have had them just set on a big piece of metal and have been clamping the ground clamp to the piece of metal. So I figured I would just lift the entire work piece up if the rod stuck. When I do that, I get a big flare between the work piece and the table. This didn't happen on AC, so I figure it must be a DC phenomenon. Pretty dramatic!

    This is a dumb question, but I'll go ahead and ask it. When removing the stuck work piece from the electrode, it's okay to do that while the stinger is hot, right? Because 1) I'm wearing gloves and 2) the path to ground is through the ground clamp, and I'm not touching the table. Well, I have done it and not gotten shocked, but that doesn't exactly mean it's good practice.

    Let me phrase the question another way: if I was going to shock myself accidentally, how would I be most likely to do it?

  4. #244
    Super Member Shield Arc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,537
    Location
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.
    Tractor
    John Deere, 4200

    Default Re: Thoughts on this used welder?

    You may have heard the rumors that up here in the north west it rains a little bit. Well they are all true! I use to build bridges for a living, kind of hard to tent a whole bridge. So welding here, you're gonna get shocked, it's part of life! With DC it's really not that big of deal, more of an aggravation than anything else.


    Miller Dynasty 300.
    Lincoln V350-Pro w/pulse.
    Lincoln LF-72 wire feeder.
    Lincoln SG Spool gun.

    2 Lincoln LN-25.
    1937 IdealArc-300.
    Everlast PowerArc 200ST.
    3 Lincoln SA-200s.
    Vantage 400
    1800 Ellis saw.
    Hypertherm Powermax 1250, CNC table.
    PROFAX Welding Positioner.
    JD2 model 3.

  5. #245
    Elite Member dex3361's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,571
    Location
    N. of Charleston WV
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm

    Default Re: Thoughts on this used welder?

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell View Post
    When you say "push the rod into the puddle," do you mean simply keep a shorter arc, or literally push the rod back into the puddle? I don't think you mean to literally submerge the tip of the rod into the puddle, since that would kill the arc, right? I have been trying to lead the puddle with the rod, keeping the rod at the front of the puddle. Is that not right?

    I decided to spring for five pounds of 3/32 rod today, because I think it will work better on the 1/8" stock I'm practicing on than the 1/8" rods I have been using. The store didn't have 7014 in that size/quantity, so I settled for 6011 and that's what I'll be practicing with until I burn it up. You're definitely right that the 7014 runs like a dream. It instantly makes my beads look a thousand times better. 6011 is always pretty terrible looking. Very uneven and lots of slag inclusion and porosity.

    I will say one difference I have for sure noticed about DC. If I stick the rod and can't quickly twist it loose, I have been in the practice of pressing the stinger handle with my thumb and pulling it off the stick. I learned this from one of the Wall Mountain videos. Well, if I do that on DC, I get a huge flare between the rod and the stinger that has left some scorch marks on it. Since I have been practicing on smaller pieces, I have had them just set on a big piece of metal and have been clamping the ground clamp to the piece of metal. So I figured I would just lift the entire work piece up if the rod stuck. When I do that, I get a big flare between the work piece and the table. This didn't happen on AC, so I figure it must be a DC phenomenon. Pretty dramatic!

    This is a dumb question, but I'll go ahead and ask it. When removing the stuck work piece from the electrode, it's okay to do that while the stinger is hot, right? Because 1) I'm wearing gloves and 2) the path to ground is through the ground clamp, and I'm not touching the table. Well, I have done it and not gotten shocked, but that doesn't exactly mean it's good practice.

    Let me phrase the question another way: if I was going to shock myself accidentally, how would I be most likely to do it?
    Just as you thought keep the rod closer to the puddle. What Shield arc said on the shock question. If you stick your rod, do as you did before and take the stinger off when you stick the rod, just do it quickly. Unless you are wet or extremely sweaty you will likely have no problem. the highest risk that I have run across for shock is laying on the bare ground or on concrete when sweaty and tounching the live part of the stinger(dc) and I am still here. The 6011 is a great rod for dirty or rusty metal with good penetration. 6011 does not have that neat appearance but is a good rod.
    Randall



    1Timothy Chapter 2:
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
    From: The HOLY BIBLE

  6. #246
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,972
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

    Default

    I went to an informal workshop put on by some local welders today. I think I really made some progress. There really is no substitute for seeing someone do it in person. Two tips that I took away were how to steady myself against the table, and to switch to 7018 rod. I had been avoiding 7018 because I don't have a rod oven, but even 7018 that hasn't been in an oven runs a million times better than 6011. With 6011, the bead is so terrible that I can't really see what I'm doing right or wrong. With 7018, the rod is working with me, not against me, and I can more easily see my progress.

    Here are the first two passes of a T joint I did.

    Thoughts on this used welder?-forumrunner_20121110_151439-png

    Thoughts on this used welder?-forumrunner_20121110_151452-png

    I also got to play with scratch start TIG. James, you were right. It is seriously cool!

  7. #247
    Epic Contributor k0ua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    23,253
    Location
    Branson, Mo.
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

    Default Re: Thoughts on this used welder?

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell View Post
    I went to an informal workshop put on by some local welders today. I think I really made some progress. There really is no substitute for seeing someone do it in person. Two tips that I took away were how to steady myself against the table, and to switch to 7018 rod. I had been avoiding 7018 because I don't have a rod oven, but even 7018 that hasn't been in an oven runs a million times better than 6011. With 6011, the bead is so terrible that I can't really see what I'm doing right or wrong. With 7018, the rod is working with me, not against me, and I can more easily see my progress.

    Here are the first two passes of a T joint I did.

    Thoughts on this used welder?-forumrunner_20121110_151439-png

    Thoughts on this used welder?-forumrunner_20121110_151452-png

    I also got to play with scratch start TIG. James, you were right. It is seriously cool!
    HA! Real welds! Ain't it grand to make a weld like that and look at it and say "wow that is more of what I had in mind".. Yes you gotta get set up with the TIG. Argon cylinder, 17V torch, and regulator.. I can help if you get stuck finding the stuff. Torch about $75, regulator about 25, Cylinder you are on your own, I bought mine a 125 cu.ft. for $210, (full) but the prices and rules vary so much per region. some places you cannot even buy one that big, you have to rent. It is cool once you kinda get on to it. You are really coming along, and it has been enjoyable watching your progress.

    James K0UA
    James K0UA

    Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner NRA Life Member How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN .


  8. #248
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    180
    Location
    WA State
    Tractor
    Nothing at the moment

    Default Re: Thoughts on this used welder?

    Once you lay down a nice weld bead, there is no turning back - you are hooked! Great progress. Congratulations.

  9. #249
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,972
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

    Default Re: Thoughts on this used welder?

    For those who are following the saga, you may enjoy this: BBQ smoker modification

  10. #250
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,972
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

    Default Re: Thoughts on this used welder?

    First attempt at vertical up. E7018 at about 130 amps on 1/4" stock. Using a "z" motion.

    Thoughts on this used welder?-2012-11-20-00-18-a

    I gotta tell ya, 7018 is really a wonder of a rod. Makes me look like I might know what I'm doing--at least to the untrained eye!

    Here's my second attempt. This is actually over about 3-5 fillet passes that I made in the horizontal position, so it would be more of a cover pass.

    Thoughts on this used welder?-2012-11-20-00-36-a

    I know I have a long way to go, but I'm really super-pleased with these results.
    Last edited by joshuabardwell; 11-20-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15222324252627 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mig welder versus stick welder
    By mygoatboy in forum Build-It Yourself
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 10-30-2014, 09:03 PM
  2. Which Stick Welder for a New Welder?
    By Cacinok in forum Welding
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 11-16-2011, 05:20 PM
  3. Use of a welder/generator as only welder
    By HCJtractor in forum Welding
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 03:23 PM
  4. Any thoughts on this welder?
    By arrow in forum Parts/Repairs
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 09:47 AM
  5. Thoughts on buying an old Airco welder?
    By Bill_C in forum Build-It Yourself
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-07-2006, 10:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2016 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.